What's your favorite way to grill asparagus?

Brian Vallotton

I know that this must have been shared before, but I was wondering... How do you like to do asparagus and other veggies too? I am on a low carb diet (KETO) so my new Bull is going to be very useful for my meat and veggies diet. (Down about 25 with 25 more to go.) Thanks everyone.

I love grilling vegetables and do so all the time on my gas grill. Looking forward to trying it on the Bull as it will impart that wood fired flavor too.

I usually grill asparagus, zucchini, squash, radicchio, portabella mushrooms, and cauliflower. For everything except the cauliflower, I put them on the grill directly. For the cauliflower, I use grill mats.

For zucchini, squash, asparagus, radicchio and mushrooms, I marinate in olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a bit of lemon juice. I cut zuch and squash into quarter spears and just grill directly until done. Sometimes I add a bit of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

For cauliflower, I cut into small flowerets and toss in olive oil, salt and pepper, then grill on grill mats until browned and tender. Best cauliflower I've ever tasted.

I think these will all be even better on the Rec Tec Bull and with the grill grates, I think I won't need the grill mats any longer as I can turn them over to the flat side and grill the cauliflower that way.

Attachments

• IMG_5326.jpg
    IMG_5326.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5327.jpg
    IMG_5327.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I love grilling vegetables and do so all the time on my gas grill. Looking forward to trying it on the Bull as it will impart that wood fired flavor too.

I usually grill asparagus, zucchini, squash, radicchio, portabella mushrooms, and cauliflower. For everything except the cauliflower, I put them on the grill directly. For the cauliflower, I use grill mats.

For zucchini, squash, asparagus, radicchio and mushrooms, I marinate in olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a bit of lemon juice. I cut zuch and squash into quarter spears and just grill directly until done. Sometimes I add a bit of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

For cauliflower, I cut into small flowerets and toss in olive oil, salt and pepper, then grill on grill mats until browned and tender. Best cauliflower I've ever tasted.

I think these will all be even better on the Rec Tec Bull and with the grill grates, I think I won't need the grill mats any longer as I can turn them over to the flat side and grill the cauliflower that way.
Wow, thanks for sharing! I have the grill grates. I am going to experimenting with these ideas. I really appreciate your feedback.

Cool - I think the key to asparagus is to try and get thin ones and if the bottom end is woody and tough, use a potato peeler to shave off any tough outer skin.

Cool - I think the key to asparagus is to try and get thin ones and if the bottom end is woody and tough, use a potato peeler to shave off any tough outer skin.
I have never thought of shaving them. Just cut it off. Of course my two Shelties love raw asparagus ends! They think it is meat!

I know that this must have been shared before, but I was wondering... How do you like to do asparagus and other veggies too? I am on a low carb diet (KETO) so my new Bull is going to be very useful for my meat and veggies diet. (Down about 25 with 25 more to go.) Thanks everyone.

Pre-heat cast iron skillet. Drizzle a little olive oil, salt and pepper over the asparagus on a sheet pan and transfer them to the cast iron in the smoker. I usually go pretty hot here 400 degrees or more. Cast iron has its own benefits in terms of flavor and char, but the added smoke is really nice. Good luck with the extra 25. I have a Covid 15 that I need to knock out myself.

I marinate mine in Balsamic vinegar and toasted sesame oil,,, then sprinkle with coarse sea salt and parmesan cheese,,, grill until tender...

We love asparagus and I like to do it directly on the grates, but my Bullseye grate spacing is wider than my older gas grill. I cut the thick ends off (usually 3-5”) depending on the batch. I try to buy the thinner ones as they seem to cook better. Mine is simple. Marinate in olive oil and a little Cajun season all. Put directly on the grates at and cook till tender. You can cook at really any temperature between 250-400 as long as you just watch them. If your grill grates are too wide you can buy the stainless vegetable pan at any Lowe’s and just cook them in that.
fyi- you can use this method with just about any vegetable.

Brian, Congrats on the first 25!

This pandemic kicked my a**! Had to stop working out, and of course, kept the smoker going the whole time; now I need to get my butt in gear again.

Anyway....These days I do my veggies over charcoal and my proteins on the smoker. I love grilling asparagus on my Kettle. (something about the open flame on veggies in general) Olive oil, S&P, lime or lemon....OMG!

I would think you'd get good results using your grill grates. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back