What's Your Favorite Grill Mods?

Superprohero

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Removed the top leg bolts and replaced with eyelets from Lowes to strap the Bull down on the mower trailer for transport. Considering mounting a retractable extension cord to the left rear leg so when cooking at locations with the grill further away from an outlet I can just pull it out the length needed rather than cart around an extension cord.
Do you have any handy mods you've done to your grill?
02.jpg
01.jpg
03.jpg

My favorite problem solving mod recently. Putting 1/8" x 1/2" LavaLok around my hopper top. No more episodes of smoke in hopper on shutdown. No air flow, no smoke back flow. !!!
I’ve sealed the hopper lids on all my pellet grills. IMO it also help keeps the pellets from absorbing as much moisture.

I did the same with leftover Lavalock. I originally did it after liking the "soft close" of the lid, but I've found that there are multiple benefits in sealing the hopper lid.

My favorite Mod to my 700 was the addition of a Big Kahuna smoke generator to it. I cold smoke most of my meats as a precursor to binder/spice prep. I've really gotten my money's worth out of it.

I cooked up a rack of baby backs yesterday that were just outstanding. Cold smoked 'em first.

My favorite Mod to my 700 was the addition of a Big Kahuna smoke generator to it. I cold smoke most of my meats as a precursor to binder/spice prep. I've really gotten my money's worth out of it.

I cooked up a rack of baby backs yesterday that were just outstanding. Cold smoked 'em first.
Can you show us how you attached it? Looks interesting...

I really want to get one of these...
So flavor wise its worth it?...
And the cold smoke is definitely a big bonus.

Can you show us how you attached it? Looks interesting...
I've got pics in other posts here, give me a little time and I'll post up links.

Oh, and if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the bigger Magnum. Nothing wrong with the Big Kahuna, but the Magnum has more volume,which means longer smoke time for a given charge. Or, you can just partially charge it and now it operates like it's smaller brudda, the Big Kahuna. It's not a big enough deal that I want to swap them out on my 700.

Last edited:
I really want to get one of these...
So flavor wise its worth it?...
And the cold smoke is definitely a big bonus.
I think so. I've defaulted to using pretty much just hickory Chips. I guess the one caution that I would throw out is that some of the stick burner guys might complain about "white smoke" from smoke generators (which the Big Kahuna is) vs "blue smoke" from stick burners.

The comparison seems to be that blue smoke is less acrid and has better taste. I'm new enough to the game that I'm going to reserve opinion for now. They may well be right, but it's been working for me.

What I like about the separate smoke generator is that I can control how much or how little smoke goes into the chamber/meat. I don't think you can do that with a stick burner. Plus, I can start up a charged smoke generator and just walk away. A charge in the Big Kahuna goes for about an hour and is about right (for my tastes anyway) for racks of ribs.

I've got pics in other posts here, give me a little time and I'll post up links.

Oh, and if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the bigger Magnum. Nothing wrong with the Big Kahuna, but the Magnum has more volume,which means longer smoke time for a given charge. Or, you can just partially charge it and now it operates like it's smaller brudda, the Big Kahuna. It's not a big enough deal that I want to swap them out on my 700.
Post in thread 'Great smoke on 1250. I used the Smoke Daddy with my 1250 on a smoked meatloaf on Thanksgiving and the results were.....AMAZING!!'
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads...-and-the-results-were-amazing.4860/post-68462

Post in thread 'Great smoke on 1250. I used the Smoke Daddy with my 1250 on a smoked meatloaf on Thanksgiving and the results were.....AMAZING!!'
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads...-and-the-results-were-amazing.4860/post-68494

Last edited:
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads...-and-the-results-were-amazing.4860/post-68462

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads...-and-the-results-were-amazing.4860/post-68494
WOW- that post you linked to "escalated rather Quickly", lol. Thanks!

WOW- that post you linked to "escalated rather Quickly", lol. Thanks!
Yeah, for the most part, I just ignored the guy. I didn't take anything personally, he just seemed to want to pick a fight with anyone/everyone.

I think so. I've defaulted to using pretty much just hickory Chips. I guess the one caution that I would throw out is that some of the stick burner guys might complain about "white smoke" from smoke generators (which the Big Kahuna is) vs "blue smoke" from stick burners.

The comparison seems to be that blue smoke is less acrid and has better taste. I'm new enough to the game that I'm going to reserve opinion for now. They may well be right, but it's been working for me.

What I like about the separate smoke generator is that I can control how much or how little smoke goes into the chamber/meat. I don't think you can do that with a stick burner. Plus, I can start up a charged smoke generator and just walk away. A charge in the Big Kahuna goes for about an hour and is about right (for my tastes anyway) for racks of ribs.
Thanks

Adding the CampChef Sear Kit. This is from when I finished the install in Feb 2020. Been using it an average of maybe once every 2 weeks since. no problems and very happy.

Edit: I did replace the cast iron grate that came with the sear kit as it rusted out in a year. I've replaced it with a generic stainless steal grating that I snagged off of Amazon.

IMG_1406_JPG.jpg

IMG_1412_jpg.jpg

IMG_1544_JPG.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back