Whats your choice- Baby Back or Spare Ribs

Which is your favorite pork rib, Baby Back or Spare Ribs. Where do you stand?

• Baby Back Ribs

Votes: 49 50.0%
  • Spare Ribs

Votes: 46 46.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
Happy to. I don’t know if it is ok to post to my blog but I have several smoking and related recipes there. (Also, just ordered my Bull today; the blog is all Weber Smoky Mountain.)

Here’s Ribs:

https://www.woopigfoodie.com/how-to-smoke-ribs/

Here’s Brisket:

https://www.woopigfoodie.com/how-to-smoke-a-texas-style-beef-brisket/

There’s a bunch of other BBQ-related recipes in the search function.

Cheers.
Just checked your blog, really good. Cool stuff. I'm following on Insta. ??

Last edited:
Cooked a rack of St Louis ribs the other day 225 for around 4 hours dumping beer on them ocasally no wrap then 275 until internal temperature just under 200, sauced up for last 1/2 hour at 300 degrees. Had nice pull and bite very tasty and not mushy like 3 2 1 cooking method.

I ended the 3-2-1 after too many fall off the bone ribs. I sprits with broth and a little rub mixed in. I like the beer idea. Any flavor difference? 4-5 hours is more than enough for the bite I like, Got Pics? ??

I ended the 3-2-1 after too many fall off the bone ribs. I sprits with broth and a little rub mixed in. I like the beer idea. Any flavor difference? 4-5 hours is more than enough for the bite I like, Got Pics? ??
The beer was what I had in my hand at the time smelled good when it steamed up on the grill. These took just under 6 hours until I got the internal temp and bend I was looking, was a bigger rack than normal. Had nice pull back on the bones but once again I didn't remember to take any pictures of the final product, maybe the beer had something to do with it. ;)

I’m going to give the beer a try (on the ribs) I already use it for medicinal purposes. Bourbon, too. o_O ??

St. Louies today. My wife made me.

20200620_145058.jpg

They look perfect. Startin' to Drool! Bull was quiet tonight, getting read for father's day event tomorrow. She deserved a night off! Just bought small ceramic tile to write what pellets are in the hopper. Did buy magnets buy not sure what they will stick to on the SS. I also made hooks to glue on and use if I have to. Crafts project starts tomorrow. ??

St. Louies today. My wife made me.

View attachment 4950

I had 3 bones and a Modelo Negra . They aren't babybacks but they were ok. Well, maybe a little better than ok....maybe GREAT! With or without sauce.

I used a John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub liberally. They went on at 9 am and finished at 4 pm. 225F with equal parts LJ Cherry, LJ Apple, and Rectec Ult Blend. After 2 hours, I basted with water, a little veg oil and rub mixed, every 45 mins, 3 times. I also lit a couple chunks of apple and cherry wood and placed them on the grill. No wrap.

Last edited:
You lookin to start a range war? ;) Besides, everyone knows that babybacks are meatier, have better flavor, and are just all around better. ? They even have their own song.
I can never cook the baby back ribs to fall off the bone or tear off the bone easily? Tha last cool came out juicy but a good pull off the bone? What am I doing wrong?! Thanks

temperature, wrapping and the meat itself play a part. to me, it just takes practice. there is no exact method to do ribs. I have had some good ribs and some really great ribs, using almost the exact same process. Test the meat and temperature not pay less attention to time.

I have found some of the best ribs I've had are the ones that friends show up with, let you smoke and cook them and then everyone gets to enjoy them together.?

Last edited:
If I'm cooking for others, I'll always do baby backs. If I'm cooking for myself, I'll do spare. Reason being is that a lot of people just aren't aware of the possible cartilage on spares and may judge my cooking based on that. Yes I could do a St. Louis cut but that seems like such a waste, so baby back it is for guests.

St Louis ribs for me any day of the week (y) :) Baby Backs lately have a layer of fat after the top meat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back