Whats the real skinny on smoke tubes?

I just purchased this smoke tube off of fleabay and for the life of me can't figure out how to install it on my grill?
images.jpg

I am not sure how much they improve the smoky taste, and most probably never reach a stick burner smoke level; however, at 225-235F I see more smoke coming out the back of my Stampede.

These fan driven pellet grills with vents in the back seem to keep less smoke on the meat than the ones with a chimney.....just a personal opinion with no empirical data.

Since I cannot seem to find anyone who can tell me what the air currents are inside a closed RT-590, I have tried a couple of locations ( far left and far right...OK no political jokes please). Resting a brisket cooked with smoke tube on the extreme right and will have a look at the results a bit later today.

Bottom line they look to be made if not the same place all are very similar 304 Stainless standard and oval or octagon seems to be the only configuration change. Make sure the tube is stainless and then buy the least expensive. No need to drive a Lamborghini to the grocery store.

I don't know how the air flows in a 590, but if you want to try to change it or stir it up, you might try some of these.

20210718_083555.jpg
20210718_083744.jpg

So far what I am getting is that it really doesn't make a big difference unless your smoking cheese
Not true
They do add Smoke to any Cook
We use ours to add an additional "Flavored" Wood to a given Cook
We'll use it on our Bacon, Pork Ribs, etc
Pork Bellies on the Bull.jpg

Cat's Dinner Party Babybacks 26 June.jpeg

I put it there so it could be seen, it wasn't left in that location for this Cook

When we double smoke things like Turkey Beasts or am
July 5th Double Smoked Turkey Brests 1.jpeg

how high have people gone with a smoke tube on the rack? at some point its got to flame up vs smolder right?
Actually, you get it burning good (for a few mins) then the flame will either die, or blow it out and it will smolder for a good four to five hours
We've never had it flare up one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back