Bull Whats the most brisket done at once?

Mucknasty

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just curious if anyone has attempted more than 2 briskets on the rt-700? Currently got 41.5 lbs on and seems like there aint' much smoke. Little nervous aint going to lie...
IMG_2955.jpg

What temp you set at? Higher temp equals less smoke. Do you have a tube you can add?

What temp you set at? Higher temp equals less smoke. Do you have a tube you can add?
I would definitely start temp low for smoke. The smoke tube is a good idea, too. That’s a lot of mass to heat up. I usually do mine at 250 and takes 12-15 hrs. I usually hit the stall in 5-6 hrs. Then wrap in pink butcher paper. Sometimes move temp to 275.

doin them at 225. did a 9.5lbs pork butt last weekend and smoked at 225 for 21 hours. And she smoked really well for most the time.

Make it a point of keeping your firepot cleaned out after those long cooks too.

I would definitely start temp low for smoke. The smoke tube is a good idea, too. That’s a lot of mass to heat up. I usually do mine at 250 and takes 12-15 hrs. I usually hit the stall in 5-6 hrs. Then wrap in pink butcher paper. Sometimes move temp to 275.
I knew i was pushing it with the amount of meat with the temps outside. Puttin my faith in the rec tec.

For a graduation party a few years ago, we got 6 brisket flats on the 680, using the second shelf. One thing to keep in mind with the smoke. Just because you cannot see smoke, does not mean it is not there. You can be very surprised at the end of a cook if you think it will not be good because you did not see much smoke during the cooking process. You are burning wood, and as long as you are cooking lower than 250, you are reducing the efficiency of that wood burning therefore creating more smoke as the wood in a sense smolders more than burning completely clean. And keep any opening of the lid to a minimum, even in very long cooks.

But that said, smoke taste is a preference. I enjoy the good taste of smoke that comes from my pit, others might like an even heavier smoke flavor, and require a smoke tube or other device.

For a graduation party a few years ago, we got 6 brisket flats on the 680, using the second shelf. One thing to keep in mind with the smoke. Just because you cannot see smoke, does not mean it is not there. You can be very surprised at the end of a cook if you think it will not be good because you did not see much smoke during the cooking process. You are burning wood, and as long as you are cooking lower than 250, you are reducing the efficiency of that wood burning therefore creating more smoke as the wood in a sense smolders more than burning completely clean. And keep any opening of the lid to a minimum, even in very long cooks.

But that said, smoke taste is a preference. I enjoy the good taste of smoke that comes from my pit, others might like an even heavier smoke flavor, and require a smoke tube or other device.
For what ever it is worth, the rec tec get to and keeps temp really well.

So right about the smoke being deceiving. Pulled them this morning after 18.5 hours. Beautiful smoke ring and turned out really good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back