What to do when thin part of brisket is done but the thick part is 20 degrees cooler?

hallsofmontezuma

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
As you can see, I've got probes in both ends. Currently, one is 140F and the other 120F. I'm concerned that if I take it off when the thick part is done, the thin part will be overcooked, but if I pull it when the thin part is done, the thick part will be undercooked.
What to do?

7F6AB3F9-1240-425A-953A-513B15277B81_1_105_c.jpeg

As you can see, I've got probes in both ends. Currently, one is 140F and the other 120F. I'm concerned that if I take it off when the thick part is done, the thin part will be overcooked, but if I pull it when the thin part is done, the thick part will be undercooked.
What to do?

View attachment 9314
I usually take the two temps and use as an average.

The point will catch up, the stall has a way of equalizing temps. Just let it roll and pull it when the flat probes tender.

The point will catch up, the stall has a way of equalizing temps. Just let it roll and pull it when the flat probes tender.
Completely agree. I have cooked over a dozen briskets and the flat always starts quite a bit hotter than the point but slows down in the stall. Both probes are usually in 3-5 degrees of one another by the end. Good luck I’m sure it will be phenomenal!

Just a heads up for next time spin it...the right side is always hotter..I always put the thicker side to the right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back