What to do when pork butt is done ahead of schedule

NWRockC

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I smoked a pork butt on my RT-590 today. Given the size, I expected it to take around 10 hours. It only needed 6.5 hours. It's been resting for about an hour, but guests aren't due for 3 more hours. How would you handle the meat between now and then?

(Sorry if this has been covered. I've found some older threads about pork butt and shoulder cooking faster than expected, but they were mostly focused on how to keep it from happening again.)

Pull it, tray it, then a half hour before the guests arrive, put it on the smoker. This will reheat it and add smoke, plus they'll think you're a pitmaster when you extract the tray from the cloud of smoke and serve it. You can add a bit of broth with your rub blended, before reheating, in for more flavor and moisture.

As mentioned by others.......FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) it. Wrap it in foil, then wrap it in a towel, then place in cooler. It will stay hot for hours.

Yep just did two butts a few weeks ago packed them foil wrapped in cooler with towels on top drove two hours to a party still needed hot pads upon arrival.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back