Bull What side tends to run hotter on the RecTeq Bull?

DasCC

What side tends to run hotter on the Bull? I haven’t bothered with a bread/biscuit test. I’ve always heard the smoke stack side was hotter but didn’t know if that was true.

What side tends to run hotter on the Bull? I haven’t bothered with a bread/biscuit test. I’ve always heard the smoke stack side was hotter but didn’t know if that was true.
Funny you ask. Everything I've read on here says the right is hotter (stack side). I set up two 3rd party temp probes on my Bull today, both inside the drip pain but one left and one right. Was surprised left side 10-15 degrees hotter than right, average between the two was right with the stock pit temp. Course, this was any empty grill. What does it mean? Maybe nothing?

What side tends to run hotter on the Bull?
I'm gonna be controversial and say the inside.

Season 6 Reaction GIF by The Office

Here's my biscuit test from yesterday. *Note, I do have the Cold Smokebox attached on the right side, so not sure if that affects things. I also have gasket around all 4 sides of the lid. The far left side biscuits browned up the fastest.

BiscuitTest.jpg

I did probes on inside when I first got Bull and they were always within 5-10 degrees and stoped monitoring after that. The end answer is they are both so close it doesn't matter. Pretty amazing it can keep them so close, much better than your oven.

I haven't done a biscuit test but when I cook loaves of bread the heat seems to come from the left in that the left is darker than the right so I spin it mid bake. My baking stone is placed on the right side.

That's interesting. Mine has always been the right side
Let me ask this...those that say it's pretty equal, do you have a warped heat shield ?

Mine seems to be the left side when the temps are 250F and below. Then it changes to the right side above that temp. I think that’s why RT tells you to put your Grill Grates on the right. It’s just a guess but the airflow near the chimney (i.e., right side) tends to help create more heat. I’ll be doing ribs this weekend and I will wire my Bull like Dr. Frankenstein’s monster and report back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back