What settings do you run your 340 at?

gstephen

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
I've only smoked once but was wondering what most set their Feed Rate/Auger Rates to? About to smoke a ribeye.

Started at 6.5 from the factory, adjusted to 3.5 when I started having temperature control issues this summer, and ended up at 3.0, which seems to give me the best performance.

Started at 6.5 from the factory, adjusted to 3.5 when I started having temperature control issues this summer, and ended up at 3.0, which seems to give me the best performance.
Same here. I wasn't sure if it would need to be increased now that the temps aren't as hot now as they were in the summer, but pit temps are consistent so no need to up the rate. I look at it like it's running on economy mode😁

I have done ribs on my 590 and my son-in-law's new 340. Used a type of 3-2-1 recipe. On the 340, set at 250 deg, Mustard/worchester/apple juice mix & rub - 3 baby back racks on edge at 3 hours using a rib rack, Then put all 3 into a large alum foil pan ($1 from Dollar Tree) with brown sugar, honey, 1/4 cup of apple juice and cover tight with alum foil for 1 3/4 hours, then take out, put on grate - bone down & about 30 minutes with BBQ sauce (bone down). Were great - everyone loved them. I like meat to almost fall off bone. I think the 340 will handle 5 racks using the rib holder (got from Home Depot - Weber), but haven't tried that.

340 held temps well (was around 60 deg outside - Detroit), only took 15 minutes to get to temp. He has since done chicken, steak (tender but no grill marks at 400 deg) and is experimenting with settings to the PID controller & cook temps. 340 has held temp at the set point very well so far, but he hasn't had really cold weather yet. By the way, a Nexgrill 48" x 20" x 30" cover at Home Depot works very well on the 340 (about $30). Also he has a large plastic garbage can with good cover for the pellets (keeps everything outside). I use a similar garbage can with foam weatherstripping on the rim of the can so there is no air gap between the lid and the can.

Had to drop my feed rate to 3.0 Also, you may want to use a separate thermometer to verify your temp setting is correct. I would also calibrate your probs just to verify.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back