RT-680 What Pellets work or don’t work?

JTornow

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I have a real problem (inability) to get a temp past 150 degrees. It heats up to 150 and then the temp slowly cools back to 110 and shuts off.

Rec Tec thinks it’s the pellets I used, I bought B&B from Academy Sports. Does anybody else have a problem with pellets that measure 1.25” long by .25” in diameter?

I replaced the fan and that wasn’t the problem.

I have a real problem (inability) to get a temp past 150 degrees. It heats up to 150 and then the temp slowly cools back to 110 and shuts off.

Rec Tec thinks it’s the pellets I used, I bought B&B from Academy Sports. Does anybody else have a problem with pellets that measure 1.25” long by .25” in diameter?

i agree, get the smaller pellets.

Pit Boss pellets from Wally World.

If you have access to Cookin Pelliets try them. They are the same as Rec Teq pellets. If they don’t work for you call customer service again. You absolutely shouldn’t be having that much trouble getting to temp.

Which type of B&B pellets did you buy? I just purchased 6 40lb bags of their champion blend and for the most part the pellets are pretty small. There are a few longer than a half inch but no where near .25 in diameter.

I've tried cookin pellets twice and both times I had problems
Rec Teq and lumber jack worked well for me

I tried traeger pellets I had left over from my treager and was having wild temp swings. RT sent me a free 40 lb bag of theirs and they fixed the problem. I bought a 40 lb bag of pitboss and so far they are working as well as the RT pellets, maybe even better.

I tried traeger pellets I had left over from my treager and was having wild temp swings. RT sent me a free 40 lb bag of theirs and they fixed the problem. I bought a 40 lb bag of pitboss and so far they are working as well as the RT pellets, maybe even better.
I've been using the Pitboss charcoal pellets with success.

No problems with Lumber Jack or Bear Mtn. I would think if you just put in an lb or two of carefully chosen pellets you could test out the pellet size theory. Empty the auger in test mode, put in the couple pounds, run auger in test till they get to the fire box, fire it up and see what happens.

So you have to ask what is the root cause of pellet failures. Is it the size, content etc. They all should be hard wood blends. Or is it how they were stored and transported. Moisture content could play a role in not burning correctly. If you look at how pellets are made there isn't much to differentiate one brand from another. All are made from compressed sawdust and formed under pressure then dried.

If you have access to Cookin Pelliets try them. They are the same as Rec Teq pellets. If they don’t work for you call customer service again. You absolutely shouldn’t be having that much trouble getting to temp.
I use Cookin' Pellets exclusively. Love 'em!

I’ve been using Traeger pellets from Home Depot in my 590 without any problems so far.

I've only had my RT-700 since June and haven't had any issues maintaining temperature even at 180 degrees F. I've used most brands of pellets and didn't have any trouble with any of them but prefer Lumber Jack. When the temperature started falling off recently, I noticed clinkers in the firepot, cleaned them out and haven't had any trouble since then. I just make sure to check it before starting a cook. Since it's turned colder in the KC area, it's taking a bit longer to get to temperature but doesn't have any trouble maintaining it.

I use cookin pellets perfect mix for most things. Their black cherry pellets are denser and burn hotter. Very nice for bullseye and searing.

I use lumberjack or smoke ring pellets and never have a problem. You may want to make sure your firepot is free of debris and ash before a cook

I've been using the B&B competition pellets from Academy. Don't have any issues at low temp but when turned up to full, I never see temps over 475, even after an hour. I've turned the feed rate up to 90 and it didn't change a thing. Don't know if it's the pellets or not. I may try some lumberjack and see if that helps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back