What is your favorite fish to smoke?

AlphaPapa

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I’d like to start smoking some fish. But, I am not sure where to start. I haven’t cooked a lot of fish even on the stove or in the oven. So, I thought I’d ask the group about their favorite fish and smoking technique(s). My wife is not too fond of salmon. So, I’d particularly appreciate any other ideas.

Since most of my fish smoking has been Salmon, I may not be much help. You didn’t say what about Salmon your wife doesn’t care for, but I can say that the way it is prepared and smoked can make a lot of difference.

i have also smoked Trout and Steelhead. Their flesh is less red/orange and their flavor a bit milder, so that might be a better choice for your wife. Most any fish can be smoked, but some (like Halibut) tend to dry out too much. Not sure where you are located, but I’ve heard that walleye is good for smoking. Never tried it myself, though.

Good luck and keep us informed.

I’d like to start smoking some fish. But, I am not sure where to start. I haven’t cooked a lot of fish even on the stove or in the oven. So, I thought I’d ask the group about their favorite fish and smoking technique(s). My wife is not too fond of salmon. So, I’d particularly appreciate any other ideas.
Start with an oily fish like salmon, or if you prefer a lighter flavor, chilean sea bass. The oils tend to make nice with longer smoking/cooking times.

I like to smoke salmon at around 225F for a couple hours or until it reaches about 150F internal. Chilean sea bass, I prefer grilled over hot coals, but smoking it should be great too. But I'd think about one of those searing torches to finish it. Chilean sea bass is a white, delicate texture and I'd go easy on the smoke, until you get a feel for your preferences.

The best smoked fish I've ever ate was some carp my kids caught in my grandpa's pond. My little brother and me cleaned and smoked them under grandpa's close supervision. We all liked it much better than salmon.

You didn’t say what about Salmon your wife doesn’t care for, but I can say that the way it is prepared and smoked can make a lot of difference
This^^^ I've had people that said they didn't like Salmon compliment mine when I ask them to just try it. It's all about brine, the rubs and proper internal temp - 110 - 125 (medium rare)

This^^^ I've had people that said they didn't like Salmon compliment mine when I ask them to just try it. It's all about brine, the rubs and proper internal temp - 110 - 125 (medium rare)

Same here. Did atlantic salmon a few weeks back, my wife swore she wasn't having any, that she didn't like salmon.

20220319_173017.jpg

Smoked Atlantic Salmon with a Maple Bourbon (Knobb Creek) glaze, she ate it like tomorrow wasn't coming

Thanks for the replies.

I may have to give salmon a try (and make sure we have a frozen pizza in the fridge just in case). I think her main complaint with any fish she doesn’t like is that it taste “fishy.” Yeah, I know…. Which salmon is on the milder side in flavor?

I have a small amount of Chilean sea bass in the fridge. But it is so darned expensive I don’t want to make it my first attempt.

Many, many moons ago my father gutted an old washing machine and turned it into a smoker. We lived on the GA coast and had access to lots of fish. I know he used to smoke mullet a lot. We did a deep sea fishing trip once and came back with a bunch of Spanish mackerel. He smoked some of that. I also remember him smoking cobia (which I see is sometimes called black salmon).

I really want to try out some brines. I normally just throw my salmon on the RT-700 and enjoy it thoroughly.

Which salmon is on the milder side in flavor?
My preference has always been wild King (aka Chinook) or Coho salmon, in that order. Having lived in the Pacific Northwest for most of my life, I just can't get myself to eat "farmed" Atlantic salmon, though I'd guess it might be in the milder side of the flavor curve. Sockeye is on the stronger, redder side. Chum salmon (aka Dog Salmon or Keta Salmon) and Pink (aka Humpback or "Humpie") lacks much flavor of any kind.

Properly brined and smoked Chinook or Coho salmon will make even the harshest smoked salmon critic reconsider their opinion. And, smoked Steelhead (a sea-run Rainbow Trout) or freshwater Rainbow Trout has never lasted long around any of my friends.

Last edited:
What he said, we mostly cook Salmon, King or Coho, are the best IMHO. NEVER FARMED. Seabear is a source as is Maine Lobster Now , sizzlefish, WFF or a local butcher.
We do also cook some Black Cod, which is very good as is any Trout. I love all trout, NOT FARM RAISED.

BUT MAKE SURE IT IS WILD VS FARMED!!!!!

I hate salmon but my son loves it, I understand that my smoked salmon is damn good. :D I put a light coat of avocado oil on skin/meat and give a good coating of Cavenders Greek seasoning, smoke temp at 245 once hits 135 internal I pull it and put a light drizzle of raw honey on it. I cook steaks for me and the wifey when the boy wants fish, I only like white flesh fish, in particular walleye/perch/crappie/bluegill/halibut/grouper.

Like others here have said, many people who don’t like salmon have tried my smoked salmon and love it. Hank Shaw’s Smoked Salmon recipe is my go to. I’ve made it dozens of times over the past couple years. Hank goes into detail, but to save you some time you can use maple syrup in place of birch syrup and don’t have to use alder wood, but it’s my preferred choice when smoking fish. I prefer Atlantic salmon. I’ve tried sockeye but it leaner than Atlantic and was too dry for me.

I’ve also smoked rainbow trout and lake trout. Careful with these though. I brined the lake trout for 1 hour and it was way too salty (using hanks brine recipe above). I brined the rainbow trout for 20 min and it was better, but the salmon is best in my book.

Lots of pics to share 😁

Attachments

• 7F341042-7DE3-4D3E-B10D-EC1810A923B3.jpeg
    7F341042-7DE3-4D3E-B10D-EC1810A923B3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • 77B1DACE-A2D1-4032-9774-E13855FD5259.jpeg
    77B1DACE-A2D1-4032-9774-E13855FD5259.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
  • D284F1B6-DA1D-4CF9-9FBF-922143C4EF5F.jpeg
    D284F1B6-DA1D-4CF9-9FBF-922143C4EF5F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • 16BABD84-225D-4716-A2D3-7C4E7F8777D4.jpeg
    16BABD84-225D-4716-A2D3-7C4E7F8777D4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 104
  • 450C475A-CAE6-4295-B1B1-050F6828E3F7.jpeg
    450C475A-CAE6-4295-B1B1-050F6828E3F7.jpeg
    985.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 8206B928-837B-4168-838B-C1B0D193706E.jpeg
    8206B928-837B-4168-838B-C1B0D193706E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • 1B479A52-F4B2-46F0-8DB2-9F2A81EB3BA7.jpeg
    1B479A52-F4B2-46F0-8DB2-9F2A81EB3BA7.jpeg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 99
  • A3338D2D-3A8A-450B-9249-22BF14C84E70.jpeg
    A3338D2D-3A8A-450B-9249-22BF14C84E70.jpeg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 114
I have always dry-brined my salmon/trout and that avoids the over-saltiness. Here’s my personal recipe, developed over 60 years of smoking fish (and used exclusively for the past 50 years).

Combine:
1/3 cup coarse sea salt
2 cups Demerara brown sugar (I’ve tried other sugar types, but Demerara is best)
1 T onion salt
1 T garlic salt
1 T celery salt
1 T dry mustard
1 T coarse black pepper

Mix well before using. Adjust recipe quantities to amount of fish. The quantity shown is sufficient for a couple of nice salmon filets.

Cut salmon into 3-4” square pieces; slice thick pieces to not more than 1/2” thick. Skin can be left on or removed as desired. (I like to remove it, but that’s just personal preference.)

Use a non-reactive baking dish (glass preferred), put down one layer of salmon and liberally sprinkle on the dry brine mix. Alternate successive layers of fish and brine mix. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap or foil, sealing tightly, and refrigerate for 12-36 hours. Longer is better.

Remove fish from baking dish and discard the brine liquid that has formed. Rinse fish pieces thoroughly in fresh water and place them on well-oiled wire racks, leaving small spaces between them. Allow fish to dry to a tacky finish (about an hour in the sun) and then place fish in the smoker. (I usually leave the pieces on the wire racks and place the whole thing in the smoker.)

Smoke at the lowest possible temperature. In my dedicated fish smoker, I shoot for 130-150F. Smoke until the fish feels firm and nearly dry to the touch (3-6 hours, depending on quantity of fish and weather conditions). On the pellet grill, I smoke it on the Low setting (about 180F) and reduce the time accordingly, still judging by feel.

When done, remove fish from smoker and let it cool for about an hour. Then refrigerate in ZipLoc plastic bags or put in freezer bags and vacuum-seal before freezing, as desired. Refrigerated smoked salmon will keep for about two weeks; frozen, it will keep for about 6 months if vacuum-sealed.

I have always dry-brined my salmon/trout and that avoids the over-saltiness. Here’s my personal recipe, developed over 60 years of smoking fish (and used exclusively for the past 50 years).

Combine:
1/3 cup coarse sea salt
2 cups Demerara brown sugar (I’ve tried other sugar types, but Demerara is best)
1 T onion salt
1 T garlic salt
1 T celery salt
1 T dry mustard
1 T coarse black pepper

Mix well before using. Adjust recipe quantities to amount of fish. The quantity shown is sufficient for a couple of nice salmon filets.

Cut salmon into 3-4” square pieces; slice thick pieces to not more than 1/2” thick. Skin can be left on or removed as desired. (I like to remove it, but that’s just personal preference.)

Use a non-reactive baking dish (glass preferred), put down one layer of salmon and liberally sprinkle on the dry brine mix. Alternate successive layers of fish and brine mix. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap or foil, sealing tightly, and refrigerate for 12-36 hours. Longer is better.

Remove fish from baking dish and discard the brine liquid that has formed. Rinse fish pieces thoroughly in fresh water and place them on well-oiled wire racks, leaving small spaces between them. Allow fish to dry to a tacky finish (about an hour in the sun) and then place fish in the smoker. (I usually leave the pieces on the wire racks and place the whole thing in the smoker.)

Smoke at the lowest possible temperature. In my dedicated fish smoker, I shoot for 130-150F. Smoke until the fish feels firm and nearly dry to the touch (3-6 hours, depending on quantity of fish and weather conditions). On the pellet grill, I smoke it on the Low setting (about 180F) and reduce the time accordingly, still judging by feel.

When done, remove fish from smoker and let it cool for about an hour. Then refrigerate in ZipLoc plastic bags or put in freezer bags and vacuum-seal before freezing, as desired. Refrigerated smoked salmon will keep for about two weeks; frozen, it will keep for about 6 months if vacuum-sealed.
Very helpful. Thanks for the detail!

My all time favorite is smoked Barracuda but tough to get unless I go to Cali (which I won't be doing very often anymore). The fall back is of course salmon and trout, sea bass is good as well. When I was on the east coast we caught a bunch of shark which was tasty.

My preference has always been wild King (aka Chinook) or Coho salmon, in that order. Having lived in the Pacific Northwest for most of my life, I just can't get myself to eat "farmed" Atlantic salmon, though I'd guess it might be in the milder side of the flavor curve. Sockeye is on the stronger, redder side. Chum salmon (aka dog salmon or keta salmon) and Pink (aka Humpback or "Humpie") lacks much flavor or any kind.

Properly brined and smoked Chinook or Coho salmon will make even the harshest smoked salmon critic reconsider their opinion. And, smoked Steelhead (a sea-run Rainbow Trout) or freshwater Rainbow Trout has never lasted long around any of my friends.
Totally agree. I didn't eat salmon until I started catching salmon. Store bought vs wild caught is truly night and day. It's been months since I've eaten it because we ran out! I guess it is time to head north.
Tuna, on the other hand, seems to be ok as store bought. We smoke a lot of that. whether it is from the store, or what I've caught.

I prefer salmon and pop eye mullet. Google Hank Shaw smoked salmon and modify his recipe to your liking. Brining is important and make sure to air dry it to form a pellicle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back