What is your favorite fish to smoke?

We smoke the Skinless Salmon Filets from Costco
Simple; drenched in Butter and on the Bull at 250 for an hour and a half +/-
Smoked Salmon.jpeg

Salmon.jpeg

We'll do Catfish pretty much the same, but I'll give them a little Course Ground Pepper over the Butter
2 Oct Catfish perfectly Smoked.jpeg

We'll also do Thresher Shark and Halibut on the Bull from time to time
Momma hates Fish, but She love the stiff I smoke .... go figure ;)

I didn’t like salmon until I smoked some on my Weber setup with a Smokenator. I used Weber’s Peppercorn steak mix and canola oil as a brine (only two hours) and a honey/maple/lemon glaze. I’ve also had people say it was the best they have had.
Are you guys getting much smoke flavor from your RecTeqs? I did some Kirkland salmon several weeks ago and put them in the 590 for about 40 mins on the lowest setting and then finished them off on my Weber gasser in high. The fish took a little bit of smoke. I did it again this week and seems the salmon took no smoke at all and was a little disappointing.

I’ll probably go back to smoking in my Weber for the whole cook. Nothing like salmon that has a balanced Smokey flavor.

I’d like to start smoking some fish. But, I am not sure where to start. I haven’t cooked a lot of fish even on the stove or in the oven. So, I thought I’d ask the group about their favorite fish and smoking technique(s). My wife is not too fond of salmon. So, I’d particularly appreciate any other ideas.
Just a thought but perhaps try smoked scallops, or smoke a lobster 🦞

I didn’t like salmon until I smoked some on my Weber setup with a Smokenator. I used Weber’s Peppercorn steak mix and canola oil as a brine (only two hours) and a honey/maple/lemon glaze. I’ve also had people say it was the best they have had.
Are you guys getting much smoke flavor from your RecTeqs? I did some Kirkland salmon several weeks ago and put them in the 590 for about 40 mins on the lowest setting and then finished them off on my Weber gasser in high. The fish took a little bit of smoke. I did it again this week and seems the salmon took no smoke at all and was a little disappointing.

I’ll probably go back to smoking in my Weber for the whole cook. Nothing like salmon that has a balanced Smokey flavor.

I just don't get some that state not getting good smoke on their meats, I've never had that issue with pellet grills.

I just don't get some that state not getting good smoke on their meats, I've never had that issue with pellet grills.
“Smoke” is a relative taste. Some folks like it really pronounced and others like it subtle. Like you, my experience is that I get the “smoke” level that I prefer with my pellet grill.

As for salmon, if it is Kirkland’s farmed Atlantic Salmon, my guess is that it may have very little “salmon flavor” to begin with and may not pull in much smoke flavor regardless of how you cook it. Farmed Atlantic Salmon has very little fat content which I think is needed to accept a significant “smoke” flavor. YMMV

If anyone has experience with Walleye, I am all ears. I line in AZ but have a source of Walleye. Thanks

Alright, the first results are in. Decided to try Mahi Mahi (on sale) and Chilean sea bass. I couldn’t find any wild caught salmon except Sockeye which everyone said was on the stronger side flavor-wise. Brined about 24 hours using @Jim6820’s rub (mostly) and method. Let them sit on the rack indoors for about 2 hours (sea bass) and 3 hours (Mahi Mahi). Started the sea bass an hour before the Mahi Mahi since it was so much thicker. I smoked them at 180 until an internal temp of 145 (sea bass) and 140 (Mahi Mahi). Seared the sea bass on all sides with a torch. Served with jasmine rice and a brown butter caper sauce and some fresh chopped parsley.

Results… the sea bass was very good. Both my wife and I liked it a lot. I liked the Mahi pretty much. But my wife wasn’t to keen. She saw pink and was afraid it wasn’t cooked all the way. I actually think it was a bit over cooked. Plus it had a tough outer skin (non-skin side). I guess that is the pellicle??

All in all, I am happy with the results. This has given me the confidence to go forth and experiment some more with fish.

BE6609E4-F436-42B7-8D6F-4B520229A6AF.jpeg

I did some Kirkland salmon several weeks ago and put them in the 590 for about 40 mins on the lowest setting and then finished them off on my Weber gasser in high. The fish took a little bit of smoke. I did it again this week and seems the salmon took no smoke at all and was a little disappointing.
The best way to get the smoke flavor to stick is allowing a pellicle to form. I use a wet brine 1/3 cup kosher salt to 1 cup brown sugar and 1 qt water. Brine 5-hours, remove and pat dry, place on a drying rack. Allow to air dry in a cool place (fridge or under a ceiling fan) this is where the pellicle is formed. I place in the fridge overnight. Smoke on LO setting (180F) for 3-hours or until internal temp reaches 135-140F. After 1-hour, I baste with pure maple syrup every 30 min.

I’d like to start smoking some fish. But, I am not sure where to start. I haven’t cooked a lot of fish even on the stove or in the oven. So, I thought I’d ask the group about their favorite fish and smoking technique(s). My wife is not too fond of salmon. So, I’d particularly appreciate any other ideas.
I’ve read several of the responses to this post of yours. Thought I’d throw my two-cents in.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of smoked fish…or heavily smoked poultry for that matter. I do like grilled or pan-seared salmon and other fish.

I might suggest tilapia as it is a very mild fish. Nice never had a fishy taste from it. Pretty clean tasting fish. Not sure how it would be smoked. But if you’re trying to stay away from “fishy” this would be one to try. Again…smokes fish may not be her cup of tea. Crank up your wood pellet grill and cook it at 350 degrees til done to your liking and see if that works.

My father in law just got back from a Father's Day fishing trip. Not sure what they are, but some is going on the smoker. I think it's striped bass?

Attachments

• received_348182010719814.jpeg
    received_348182010719814.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 79
It reminds me of Snook with that turned up mouth.
I called him and it is striped bass. Strange because it is usually a saltwater fish when mature but has been introduced into inland lakes. I had blackened striped bass and it is really good. But that was caught in New Jersey on the Atlantic coast.

If anyone can find tautog, in my opinion, that is the closest you will get to lobster meat. Great smoked and brushed with garlic butter. One ugly fish, but tastes great.

I called him and it is striped bass. Strange because it is usually a saltwater fish when mature but has been introduced into inland lakes. I had blackened striped bass and it is really good. But that was caught in New Jersey on the Atlantic coast.
Striped bass is an excellent eating fish. I’ve never smoked any, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be good.

Start with an oily fish like salmon, or if you prefer a lighter flavor, chilean sea bass. The oils tend to make nice with longer smoking/cooking times.

I like to smoke salmon at around 225F for a couple hours or until it reaches about 150F internal. Chilean sea bass, I prefer grilled over hot coals, but smoking it should be great too. But I'd think about one of those searing torches to finish it. Chilean sea bass is a white, delicate texture and I'd go easy on the smoke, until you get a feel for your preferences.
Try it at 180 and brine it 24 hours in salt&sugar. Then glaze the salmon with maple syrup every hour. Life changing!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back