What is your favorite fish to smoke?

I'd probably go with a good Japanese beer with sashimi. I just had some surprisingly good ahi tuna poke this weekend on a quick getaway to Pismo Beach. This trip actually got me thinking of making grilled/lightly smoked Oysters Rockefeller as well. I've done mussels on cast iron in the Recteq too with white wine, garlic, parsley and butter. Not exactly "smoked fish", but pretty damn good.

The old thread referenced here re-kindled my past success of smoked/grilled mussels. I did them in a cast iron grill pan with high enough sides that allowed me to douse them in white wine, garlic, butter, and parsley as they just started opening. They were pretty decadent.

The old thread referenced here re-kindled my past success of smoked/grilled mussels. I did them in a cast iron grill pan with high enough sides that allowed me to douse them in white wine, garlic, butter, and parsley as they just started opening. They were pretty decadent.
I have to try that on the RT-340. I’ve done them in the kitchen and on the gas grill, but not yet on the pellet grill. I’ll bet a little smoke would really bump them up another notch. I love mussels, and pretty much any other fish or seafood. Now, to find a good seafood market near the new house. We’re only a couple of miles from saltwater here, so I’m guessing fresh, local seafood should be readily available.

When I was a teen in the late 60s, my father would drive us up the coast highway, somewhere past Point Dume Malibu and there was a store that sold smoked fish. They called it fish jerky, although it was not tough, but somewhat dry. It was heavily brined and there were a few different choices of fish, from a white fish to bonita. I actually liked the bonita, which had a strong, oily flavor. I'm sure that store is long gone, but every once in while, I think about that fish.

Best I've got for smoking fish.

ever-seen-a-fish-smoke-a-cigarette.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back