What is a good grilling method to get Chicken crispy on the outside?

GaHokie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have been cooking with my new Rec-Tec Stampede for about a month now and still have a question. When I grill chicken (and other meats), I have not been able to get the slightly charred, crispy surface effect that I had gotten on my Weber gas grill. I usually operate the Stampede at 400-425 degrees for about 25 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.

I sometimes use the sear kit; that will get me the darker cooking lines but not the crispiness around some of the edges that I’m looking for.

I would appreciate any/all recommendations. Many thanks.

You got the heat part right, now just get that skin dried as much beforehand as you can.
Everyone has different opinions about this. But it has worked for me. You can mess with mix ratios and rubs. You can substitute salt n pepper with your favorite rub. (This is basic mix)
Combine one part baking powder with three to four parts kosher salt, add a little black pepper to taste and sprinkle it over the chicken. Now let it rest in your refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours

For poultry this stuff is the bomb for crispy skin.
Screenshot_20200428-074656_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Duck Fat spray is awesome.

Crispy chicken skin has eluded me for the most part. I always get it with the gasser but not yet with the smoker. I'm sure my cooking temps have been too low though. In the effort to get as much smoke as possible, I sacrificed the crispy skin. (won't do that anymore though)

A dusting with baking powder (nnot baking soda) the night before, then let sit in the fridge, will dry the skin. I've seen some posts say that it doesn't work well with pellet grills though.

Duck Fat spray is awesome.

Crispy chicken skin has eluded me for the most part. I always get it with the gasser but not yet with the smoker. I'm sure my cooking temps have been too low though. In the effort to get as much smoke as possible, I sacrificed the crispy skin. (won't do that anymore though)

A dusting with baking powder (nnot baking soda) the night before, then let sit in the fridge, will dry the skin. I've seen some posts say that it doesn't work well with pellet grills though.
I've do the sit in the fridge over night spray with Duck Fat then the baking powder and kosher salt the next day in a zip lock bag to coat the wings and season with what you like and have always had nice crispy skin on our wings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back