What in the thunder

bloodmountain911

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I’ve had the trailblazer for a month now. I’ve noticed insane temperature swings. I’m using 2 probes to verify the smoker temperature at grate level (left and right side) and the difference between these probe measurements and the built in “actual temp” reading is crazy. It’s anywhere from 30 to 200 degrees F different. Using lumberjack pellets. I’ve changed the feed rate but that hasn’t helped. At this point I’m wasting expensive meat. Any suggestions beyond feed rate and pellet changes? Close to putting this for sale and going back to stick burning.

Welcome to the group, If you have lowered the feed rate down as far as it will go and still have temp swing issues it's time to contact recteq to see what they have to say.

I was having that problem with my 340 right from the get go. Contacted rectec and they asked for a pic of the traeger pellets I was using and they said the longer length of them would cause feed problems in the auger. They sent me a free 40 lb bag of theirs and life has been beautiful ever since. My son has a 700 and he uses nothing but Pit Boss in his and his temp stays steady all the time.

I was having that problem with my 340 right from the get go. Contacted rectec and they asked for a pic of the traeger pellets I was using and they said the longer length of them would cause feed problems in the auger. They sent me a free 40 lb bag of theirs and life has been beautiful ever since. My son has a 700 and he uses nothing but Pit Boss in his and his temp stays steady all the time.
Good call, I will definitely try different pellets. Thanks!

I’ve had the trailblazer for a month now. I’ve noticed insane temperature swings. I’m using 2 probes to verify the smoker temperature at grate level (left and right side) and the difference between these probe measurements and the built in “actual temp” reading is crazy. It’s anywhere from 30 to 200 degrees F different. Using lumberjack pellets. I’ve changed the feed rate but that hasn’t helped. At this point I’m wasting expensive meat. Any suggestions beyond feed rate and pellet changes? Close to putting this for sale and going back to stick burning.
Can I ask which lumberjack pellets you are using in particular?
There is an issue with a couple l of their varieties I can explain.

I’ve been using a bag of lumberjack competition blend pellets on my 340 with zero problems with temp deviation. Have a pork butt on now that has been on all night. Every time I look it’s keeping temp dead on 225.

these pellets do seem a little longer than the recteq pellets but no problems here.
Maybe try a different pellet. If no improved results call rectec.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back