Bull What I did to be able to reach 500 degrees on my 700

kennethk

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-1070
I posted this as a reply to the lid sealing post then realized I should not have done that.

FWIW - I was not able to reach ~500° with the seal on. It would stall at ~440° I propped the lid open ~1/4" and the temp climbed to 500 fairly quick. I took the seal off (glue still stuck on) this morning but have not tried it yet.

I have not had the 700 long but have been learning a Green Egg the last 3 years and it is all about air flow. When you want to hit 700 degrees to cook a thin crust pizza on a stone in 3 minutes you need lots of air flow. It took us a couple dozen combinations to get pizza we really liked on the BGE but we have it down pat now. We are determined to do the same with the 700. We also want to figure out how to do Smash Burgers in ~4 minutes on the 700. We were cooking them using the Guga method on the Weber Gas grill on a GrillGrate griddle.

I’ve owned a BGE since 2004, and a BGE gets it’s air from the draft door at the bottom of the egg, not from a lack of a seal from the lid and the base of the egg. The BGE has a gasket at the lid, and as long as the gasket has not been damaged from high heat, it does not leak, or take in air, at all and thus does not depend on gaps at the door to let in oxygen for the fire. Similarly, the pellet grill takes in air from its draft door (the fan) in the grill. There are actually aftermarket device suppliers like the Heavy D that recommend cracking open the lid to reduce temps if the stick burner raises temps to a high level.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back