what does bbq mean in your area?

BBQ can mean lots of things here in WI and the upper Midwest in general. There is the typical ribs, pulled pork, brisket, chicken, etc.

But, BBQ (or also a barbeque sandwich) up here is what the rest of the country refers to as a sloppy joe.

When doing brats on the grill here (especially in eastern WI in the Fox Valley and Sheboygan area) it's always called a Brat Fry.

Last edited:
Really? I LOVE Alabama White sauce on chicken
Not for me, but I’m not big on any heavy, goopy sauces. Actually I tend to avoid most sauces, as I prefer to get most of my seasoning from the rubs. But I do like the thinner sauces, like Carolina sauces, on the side where I can squirt or dip a bite if I want that added kick.

i actually have seen a white bbq sauce at a restaurant but i have never tried it. i will make it a point to try it next time i see it. our best bbq restaurants always look like a junky place, usually in an old gas station. and they always have pulled pork baked bean slaw and mac and cheese. most have chicken about half will have pork ribs. very few will have brisket.
Yes! Hole in the wall places and parking lots have some of the best...

Not for me, but I’m not big on any heavy, goopy sauces. Actually I tend to avoid most sauces, as I prefer to get most of my seasoning from the rubs. But I do like the thinner sauces, like Carolina sauces, on the side where I can squirt or dip a bite if I want that added kick.
Yeah...If it's gloopy, then it isn't done right. I put a more vinegar in my white sauce than a lot of recipes call for and a splash of milk to thin it.

I'm in Southport, about as far east as You can get in Eastern North Carolina, BBQ down here is almost a religion, Boston Butt cooked over oak pellets 12 to 14 hours or until temp is 203, pulled apart, bad pieces
trowed out, chopped up, never pulled, with a vinegar-based sauce (Huckleberry Hog's Secret Sauce).
cole slaw with pickles on a hamburger bun and iced tea.
And then it be nap time.

I'm in Southport, about as far east as You can get in Eastern North Carolina, BBQ down here is almost a religion, Boston Butt cooked over oak pellets 12 to 14 hours or until temp is 203, pulled apart, bad pieces
trowed out, chopped up, never pulled, with a vinegar-based sauce (Huckleberry Hog's Secret Sauce).
And then it be nap time.
Mr. Hog, I'm going to need that secret sauce recipe, please.;)

Mr. Hog, I'm going to need that secret sauce recipe, please.;)
Alright,
Just to start with, ain't no Mr. around here, cooking friends call Me Huckleberry, but since You showed respect for us old codgers, I'm gonna break down and give You the recipe, However there are certain restrictions,
first of which is that You can't tell anyone, if You do, You gotta make them promise not to tell anybody else, and if they do tell anybody, they gotta make them promise not to tell.

Alright,
on to the recipe,
one gal apple cider vinegar,
two boxes dark brown sugar
two tablespoons red pepper flakes
half a cup salt
bring to a rolling boil
let simmer 15 minutes

Now while You're fixing this, if You happen to be indulging in 1 or 2 or 5 "adult beverages " and You happen to spill a splash in the sauce pot, it will be alright as long as its good bourbon, like Blanton's, Elmer T Lee,
Stagg, not Jr. or Woodford. Whatever You do, don't go into the kitchen with any Weller or Van Winkle. The sauce can't taste but so good.

Hope You enjoy and let Me know how You like it.
Huckleberry

Yeah, here in Utah, there's a range of Barbecue styles
The Chain places are "OK" (not great)
We like one place for their Pork Ribs
Another for their Brisket
One has GREAT Hot Links
Still another has amazing Chicken
And the Pulled Pork from those guys on the hill is .... well let's say .... they're better than all the rest
Kinda sucks, 'cause when everyone wants something different, there's not one place that covers them all

Since I've driven Truck for over 40 years, we've enjoy (and some, not so much) all over the Country
Kansas City is King for Barbeque
Eaten from the best of the "Royal" .... hard to beat
But the again, Dyer's in Amarillo is still our number one place for Barbeque

Then there's Den's, on the BULL ! ;)
Next Saturday, for Momma Work Friends:
6 racks of Babybacks, Smoked Cheese (cured for 21 days) and my Homemade, sugar free (sweetened with Maple Syrup) Chocolate Ice Cream .... LOVE my Homemade Ice Creams ! ! !
Someone else is responsible for the Sides !

And then it be nap time.
IMO the best eastern NC BBQ is a messy whole hog, not just the shoulder. You need bits of everything in there, including crispy skin.

Here in the burbs 20 miles south of L.A., it means good bbq, of any style, is hard to find, and many bbq joints come and go. Most of them start from a skilled owner that has the best of intentions, but end up shortcutting somewhere when the volume of clientele isn't up to the economics needed to support a business.

So, when I wanted really good bbq many years ago, I had to go to the rougher neighborhoods of south L.A.. 25 years ago, we moved further from those areas and it became a rarity that I'd go to the old haunts. So, I started to learn how to do good bbq.

It was a lot of years before other people started telling me they were craving my bbq. So, good bbq around here means I'm making it. But I still have to try every new bbq joint I run across. :)

Kansas City BBQ - Meats are usually Burnt Ends from Brisket (occasionally Pork or Sausage), Sliced Brisket, Ribs (Pork Spare, St. Louis, Baby Back, Beef Back Ribs, Crown, Short, occasionally Lamb, Bison or Game), Pulled Pork, Sliced Meats (Brisket, Pork, Turkey, Sausage), Chicken, Pork Belly, Sandwiches using any of the aforementioned and Wood-Grilled Items (Steaks, Pork Chops, Seafood). All are served with BBQ Sauce or Dry with sauce on the side, historically more hot and spicy with vinegar but evolved currently to a more spicy sweet tomato base, some very sweet and thick, others not very sweet or thick at all. Woods used are usually Hickory, Oak, Pecan, Apple, Cherry and Maple, occasionally Osage Orange. Sides are usually BBQ Beans, Cole Slaw, Potato Salad, Fries, Cheesy Corn, Macaroni & Cheese, Green Beans, and Fried (Mushrooms, Onions, Okra). I personally don't care for the thick sweet sauces, but like most of the others. KC BBQ is probably closer to Memphis, Texas (East, Central, West, not South) and Lexington, not the South Carolina Mustard, Kentucky, St. Louis, Chicago or the Alabama White Sauce.

It usually means I'm cooking around here.

But if we go outside the home, it often means disappointing, expensive and a place we aren't going back to.

I'm in southern California, so just like Plummerguy said about his area, anything that is cooked outside is a "BBQ".

If California has had any influence on the "BBQ" world, it would have to be the popularization (is that a word?) of tri-tip.

Mainly the local fire companies etc doing the chicken "BBQ" fundraisers with the vinegar based marinates. Other than that a food truck with a stick burner serving ribs, pulled pork and brisket with the traditional sides.

And then there's Meadow Creek BBQ Meadow Creek
Love that place , also Lancaster BBQ supply

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back