What did you buy today?

Mike

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I love getting new grilling goodies.

Today is no exception just received my Rec Tec front shelf for my Bull as well as a new roll of butcher paper!

What have you bought today?

I have not bought anything today, but have some thoughts. However, just as an FYI, you are going to love having the extra shelf space with the front shelf you bought. I have a few tables I use, and still use the front shelf on my 680 all the time.

I have the older version front shelf on my 680 but I think I would like the version better as the older one the letters RecTek were cut out and left holes in it where that letters were and it sometime catchers and rips the foil or butcher paper I am using.Other than that I love it.

I want a front shelf now. I didn't care that much when I got my 680, but now I wish I had it. Only partly so I can mount a paper towel dispenser under it :D ... I saw someone post a video of theirs a bit ago. They basically took an under-cabinet automatic dispenser and put it under the front shelf.

@wildblue having the front shelf is a worlds difference. Sure you can use the side shelf or maybe the hopper to hold things. But when taking racks of ribs, burgers or pretty much anything else on and off the grill the shelf is SO much nicer and easier.

I bought a few more things today - two bags of Lumber Jack comp blend pellets while I was over at Rural King today. $8.99 each for a 20 lbs bag.

Picked up a Thermoworks Smoke and a MK4 thermapen and pro probes.
I don't like the idea of having to only use rectec probes being the controller probe ports will not accept standard meat probe ends.
And I believe Rectec only has one stlye probe.

Picked up a Thermoworks Smoke and a MK4 thermapen and pro probes.
I don't like the idea of having to only use rectec probes being the controller probe ports will not accept standard meat probe ends.
And I believe Rectec only has one stlye probe.

More info doesn't hurt, and Thermoworks stuff is good, reliable quality. On one of my early cooks on the RT I ran a check between the RT probe and my Smoke and the two tracked within a couple degrees of each other throughout the cook. Gave me more confidence in the RT probe accuracy and when there will be more than two items to cook the Smoke will be there as well.

@Brickhouse be sure to let us know what you think about those grilling gloves.

I've been using welding gloves and have been pretty happy with them.

More info doesn't hurt, and Thermoworks stuff is good, reliable quality. On one of my early cooks on the RT I ran a check between the RT probe and my Smoke and the two tracked within a couple degrees of each other throughout the cook. Gave me more confidence in the RT probe accuracy and when there will be more than two items to cook the Smoke will be there as well.
Well the two probes that came with the Bull one is off by 8 degrees. RecTec did send me two new ones but I really like the quality of the Thermoworks Pro Probes. I'm not bashing RecTec one bit, I just think the probes should be better quality that's all.

Well the two probes that came with the Bull one is off by 8 degrees. RecTec did send me two new ones but I really like the quality of the Thermoworks Pro Probes. I'm not bashing RecTec one bit, I just think the probes should be better quality that's all.
Sorry forgot to say did ice bath test with probes one was 33 the bad one was 40 degrees.

Hi...……..my name is Bob...…...…….and I'm a gizmoholic.

So in our endeavors to prepare the "perfect" food, we occasionally find the need (or should that be desire?) for additional tools to enhance the process/experience. That's not just unique to we outdoor cooks, I've used my hot rod hobby as a justification (aka, excuse) to fill my shop with a broad range of tools...…………………….it's a guy thing. Of course whenever the bride asks me to do some little task that's of interest to her and I say something like, "I've got just the tool for that." I smile and she gives me THAT look.

Yesterday the brown truck dropped off a box with something I've wanted for some time, a decent quality slicer. Yeah, the granton blade carving knife does a great job and I can produce relatively equal slices from a slab of whatever protein, and for many tasks it still the best option, but the slicer is quicker (although the trade off is clean up time so forgive the rationalization). We've had a small joke of a slicer that passed down from the inlaws but it was really not designed to do much of anything well. So here is the latest toy added to the cheffing arsenal.

So in our endeavors to prepare the "perfect" food, we occasionally find the need (or should that be desire?) for additional tools to enhance the process/experience. That's not just unique to we outdoor cooks, I've used my hot rod hobby as a justification (aka, excuse) to fill my shop with a broad range of tools...…………………….it's a guy thing. Of course whenever the bride asks me to do some little task that's of interest to her and I say something like, "I've got just the tool for that." I smile and she gives me THAT look.

Yesterday the brown truck dropped off a box with something I've wanted for some time, a decent quality slicer. Yeah, the granton blade carving knife does a great job and I can produce relatively equal slices from a slab of whatever protein, and for many tasks it still the best option, but the slicer is quicker (although the trade off is clean up time so forgive the rationalization). We've had a small joke of a slicer that passed down from the inlaws but it was really not designed to do much of anything well. So here is the latest toy added to the cheffing arsenal.View attachment 252
What brand is this?

It is a Beswood, this is the model 250, a 10" blade. Available on Amazon. Came highly recommended by a member over on Amazing Ribs. I sliced the pastrami I recently made earlier today, nice clean, even cuts (disregarding the first and last pass). Not in the same league as a Global or Hobart, but close enough for home use at a reasonable cost. Many seem to be able to find old versions of the large pro slicers used in their market, but here in the boonies the ones I've seen are pretty well used up or much higher priced.

Yesterday the brown truck dropped off a box with something I've wanted for some time, a decent quality slicer. Yeah, the granton blade carving knife does a great job and I can produce relatively equal slices from a slab of whatever protein, and for many tasks it still the best option, but the slicer is quicker (although the trade off is clean up time so forgive the rationalization). We've had a small joke of a slicer that passed down from the inlaws but it was really not designed to do much of anything well. So here is the latest toy added to the cheffing arsenal.View attachment 252
I'm jealous. I've been wanting to get one of these for a while now.

@Brickhouse be sure to let us know what you think about those grilling gloves.

I've been using welding gloves and have been pretty happy with them.

The gloves have great heat resistance, I mean great. Really great for grabbing trays and/or meat that's been on the smoker for hours and hours.

I would say though, that the dexterity in them isn't good and they aren't easy to get on/off.

They don't fit well enough as a glove, meaning they don't really tailor to your hand/fingers, so they're a bit hard to be nimble with. Additionally, the material makes it sort of a task getting your hands in and out. Truly doesn't take but a few seconds, but they don't slide on/off like I wish they did.

What I love about them is the heat resistance and the ability to get them as messy as I want and just rinse them off.

Would I buy again? Probably not. I'd probably look for something a little more "glove" like, that allows more accurate usage of my fingers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back