What cast iron skillets do you recommend?

GLF35

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Any recommendations on cast iron skillets?

Any recommendations on cast iron skillets?
I love cast iron, I have several vintage pieces from Griswold, Wagner, Birmingham Steel, etc. and I also have enameled pieces from Le Crueset, Staub, as well as pieces from the new generation of makers such as Finex, Field, and Smithey. Hands down the best combination of quality and value today is still Lodge, made in South Pittsburg Tennessee.

Having said that, my favorite vintage brand is Grisword and my favorite brand from current makers is Smithey, made in Charleston, SC. In full disclosure, the Smithey folks are friends of mine, but their cast iron is top notch (but Lodge is still a better value).

@GLF35 I prefer the older cast iron myself. Maybe it's because my parents used them well before me and I'm using some of them now.

Right now I have a Le Crueset as well as a Griswold. Keep an eye out on auctions and yard sales, you'd be surprised at the good stuff you can find there. Some just need some light cleaning.

If you're looking for something new, I would say Lodge is probably going to be your best bet and honestly there probably isn't a darn thing wrong with them. Just a personal preference for the older stuff.

All mine are Lodge, I'm not a tag saler so I've never come across old ones. I mostly use a 12" square griddle with a handle, and occasionally a 10 and 12" skillet. Want to get a dutch oven but Covid seems to have made them hard to find.

I have a cabinet full of Lodge - I use one nearly every day. I placed an order with a start up in Lancaster County PA Lancaster Cast Iron There was a local news article about them and they got swamped with orders, so I'm still waiting for the skillet I ordered. No rush for me, I did it mainly to support a new business.

I'll add one more to the list in @Greg Jones post above for contemporary manufacturers, Stargazer. The Lodge product is very good value, but as always, there are reasons that may or may not be of value to you. They don't use as sophisticated technology in tooling and alloys as the higher end guys. The higher end guys will usually grind the interiors of the pan to a smooth finish, the Lodge is generally "as cast". The material and tooling thing for the high end guys results in a thinner/lighter finished product that some find easier to handle.

And speaking of handles, most of the higher end guys spend more time designing their handles for better fit and less heat transfer (some will argue this point, it is subjective). Some of the vintage stuff as @Mike talked about were made in similar fashion to today's higher end products and are also thinner/lighter/smoother which is part of why folks seek them out. There's also the anti made in China thing that some folks hold to. If you go after vintage pieces, don't let rust dissuade you, that's easily cleaned up and is not the health concern that some worry warts think it is.

I've got several Lodge pieces and am perfectly happy with them, and once seasoned well they are almost, as in ALmost, as smooth and release cooked product well. It's all a matter of choice. I also have several pieces of porcelain coated iron that we refer to as FakeCrueset since it's not the high zoot stuff. The best porcelain pieces are a Staub clone made in Turkey by a company called Lava. Fantastic pieces though for some reason they aren't available in the US any more. The gnarliest hunk of iron cookery is the Golden Iron Works Kamado, ya need a strong patio to support that puppy.

I have a cabinet full of Lodge - I use one nearly every day. I placed an order with a start up in Lancaster County PA Lancaster Cast Iron There was a local news article about them and they got swamped with orders, so I'm still waiting for the skillet I ordered. No rush for me, I did it mainly to support a new business.
Please follow up with us once you've received your new skillet and tried it out a bit.

I'm always in the market for good cast iron. ;)

I’m not a fan of new Lodge... they have a pebbled texture. I like Bed Bath and Beyond’s in house brand of cast iron pans “Artisanal Kitchen Supply”. I have a 12 inch skillet of theirs that’s my go to for nearly everything. Not quite as smooth as carbon steel but I can easily fry eggs on it. I try that on lodge and it ends up sticking to all the bumps and ridges.

Thanks for all the info, this forum and the information provided by everyone is fantastic! I ordered the Lodge which will be here today!

Check out Fieldcompany.com for quality cast iron like they used to make. I have a #8. It is smooth and lightweight. Been considering the field company #4 and #12 every time I use my 12” lodge. Sale on at this moment.

Check out Fieldcompany.com for quality cast iron like they used to make. I have a #8. It is smooth and lightweight. Been considering the field company #4 and #12 every time I use my 12” lodge. Sale on at this moment.
Thanks for sharing. Checking out their site and it looks like they have some nice skillets. I'm not sure now if I should order from Field Company and get the skillet sooner or from Lancaster and get it sometime in Feb.

Well scratch the above... I've placed my pre-order for the Lancaster now! :D

Well scratch the above... I've placed my pre-order for the Lancaster now! :D
Mike, I don’t know what Lancaster you ordered, but I have a NIB #10 Field skillet that I would make you a special deal on. Message me if interested.

As one that doesn't know... What does one gain with one of the upper end CI skillets over one like the Lodges. I see they are lighter and smoother, how does that improve it's use?

As one that doesn't know... What does one gain with one of the upper end CI skillets over one like the Lodges. I see they are lighter and smoother, how does that improve it's use?
The biggest difference most people will cite is that the Lodge is a rough casting, the edges tend to be rougher to the touch, and the cooking surface is not machined, so it’s rougher. Does that make a big difference in cooking? No, but it does make for a difference in the experience. All I can compare it to is watches and cars, a fine Swiss watch does not keep time multiples of times better than a Timex, and a fine German car is not multiples of times better than a Hyundai, but the experience is different.

BTW, we sold our 2008 Hyundai to our son last year and hands down it’s the best car we’ve ever owned, which included a Mercedes and a Lexus! Over 250k miles and still going strong.

Mike, I don’t know what Lancaster you ordered, but I have a NIB #10 Field skillet that I would make you a special deal on. Message me if interested.
I bought a #8 Lancaster (which is the only size they offer at the moment I do believe), but could be interested in a #10 as well. I sent you a PM ;)

The biggest difference most people will cite is that the Lodge is a rough casting, the edges tend to be rougher to the touch, and the cooking surface is not machined, so it’s rougher. Does that make a big difference in cooking? No, but it does make for a difference in the experience. All I can compare it to is watches and cars, a fine Swiss watch does not keep time multiples of times better than a Timex, and a fine German car is not multiples of times better than a Hyundai, but the experience is different.

BTW, we sold our 2008 Hyundai to our son last year and hands down it’s the best car we’ve ever owned, which included a Mercedes and a Lexus! Over 250k miles and still going strong.
Thanks, I get it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back