What are your favorite pellets and why?

new to forum my bull is in the mail. would like some input on which is best for pork apple wood or cherry wood Ive always used hickory for everything but now that Im getting a pellet smoker Id like to try something different

@Redeye you could use either, both, or all three. Well now you have to do a bunch of cooks to figure out which pellet(s) you prefer. Nice problem to have!
Cherry will help you get a nice mahogany color.

Here in Texas I've heard good things about the B&B Champion Blend Pellets. I plan to start with these. Mix of Cherry, Pecan and Oak. Academy Sports has them in 40lb bags for 14.99.

Title says it all. What do you like best and, and why? Flavor? Low ash? High/accurate temp?
What would you stay away from?

In my RT-700 I've only used the RecTeq Ultimate Blend, Lumber Jack Competition Blend, and Lumber Jack Pecan. I honestly don't know that I could tell you the difference between any of them.
dont know how many people live near a Rural King but I just bought a bunch of lumber jack at $8.88 per bag and they have all the flavors I do know they are in 13 states now.

I wish we could get Rural King prices on LJ pellets. Right now even Dick's is out of stock except for a couple of more expensive flavors. Guess I should have ordered before T'giving. In the meantime, Lowe's has a sale on Kingsford, so I have a couple bags of those on the way.

Yeah I saw that with Dick's running out of everything. I found one local BBQ store that sells LJ. They had a deal with every 4th bag free. That put me at $13 a bag. Not quite a Rural King price but I'm happy to pick up supplies.

Yeah I saw that with Dick's running out of everything. I found one local BBQ store that sells LJ. They had a deal with every 4th bag free. That put me at $13 a bag. Not quite a Rural King price but I'm happy to pick up supplies.
I could only find LJ at one store locally and it was $19 a bag. I had a gift card that was almost a year old that I needed to use so I picked up a bag. This store only carries high end stuff. I think the cheapest grill there is a big green egg. Most of their stuff seems to be custom installs which I'm sure is high profit margin.

Hi everyone!

just found this guy locally who is opening his own business, and recently became a Lumberjack pellet dealer. He’s selling 20lb bags for $12, and 40lb bags for $24. Is this a good deal to you guys? Ive looked around at a few places online and found the bag costs to be significantly more.

He has every kind of flavor, with another 200 bags being shipped to restock his inventory. At the moment he has 100% Oak, and Competition on hand until his next order arrives in 8 weeks. Im thinking about going to pick up a few of each today, but wanted to get some of your guys input reaal quick if possible!

Thanks in advance,

Josh

I wouldn't complain about $12, at the feed store I pay $13 + change. Some of the price may have to do with where one is located, hard to tell as most folks don't post there where abouts.

I agree not too bad. The best I've done local in Southern California is $13.50 when buying multiple 20# bags.

I personally can't tell a whole lot of difference in pellets anyway. Cookin' Pellets. Started using them and never looked back.

I ended up picking up four 40lb bags for now. He has another order in with 200 bags on their way. Shipping is taking him 9 weeks at the minimum, and apparently Lumberjack said is facing alot of turn around from what he said. Not sure how many order from Lumberjack directly, but heads up on shipping delays if you do!

Strangely my Sam's doesn't seem to carry them according to their website, nor can I find them to order online.
Our local Sam's (SW Florida) carries Smokehouse at $15 for 40 lbs. But I couldn't find pellets at my son-in-laws Sam's (Detroit), so must be a regional thing.

My favorite pellets/wood are cherry and apple. But I also use mesquite for beef. Lumberjack has been my preference on brands of pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back