What are you making for Thanksgiving on your RecTeq?

Turkey breast and double smoked ham ...

Definitely a brined and lightly smoked fresh turkey on the RT. Still having the in-house debate of spatchcocked or traditional, but since I'm the one doing the bird, my vote is spatchcocked.

I just bought a "beer and meat" fridge/freezer for the garage. Plenty of room to hold a 5 gallon bucket and room for a few other things last weekend. The prime brisket behind the two chickens in the brining bucket from last weekend should be defrosted and ready for this weekend. A few other "projects" lined up in the freezer for the coming days and weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 83
I'm not sure. The inlaws are coming over and my wife's 3 cousins and 2 of them are vegetarians. I was thinking some kind of small turkey on the RT700 since the inlaws are bringing a ham. When I was at the grocery store earlier this week they were totally out of turkeys so I may not find one to cook. I personally don't get into Thanksgiving. Most of the traditional stuff that is served are things I don't like. I usually just end up with a plate of turkey and mashed taters.

Definitely a brined and lightly smoked fresh turkey on the RT. Still having the in-house debate of spatchcocked or traditional, but since I'm the one doing the bird, my vote is spatchcocked.

I just bought a "beer and meat" fridge/freezer for the garage. Plenty of room to hold a 5 gallon bucket and room for a few other things last weekend. The prime brisket behind the two chickens in the brining bucket from last weekend should be defrosted and ready for this weekend. A few other "projects" lined up in the freezer for the coming days and weeks.
That was my plan for the 2nd fridge. Somehow it always winds up with a ton of other stuff in it too. My 5 gallon bucket never seems to fit. If anyone else has that same problem, check out the 60qt Igloo Ice Cube cooler. It holds a 5 gallon bucket plus about 30 pounds of ice. That is my brining set up.

That was my plan for the 2nd fridge. Somehow it always winds up with a ton of other stuff in it too. My 5 gallon bucket never seems to fit. If anyone else has that same problem, check out the 60qt Igloo Ice Cube cooler. It holds a 5 gallon bucket plus about 30 pounds of ice. That is my brining set up.
We have a freezer and a freezer/fridge combo in the garage and they are so full we can't put anything else in them. When we moved them out there I couldn't understand why we needed them and how we would fill them up. Now I want a small chest freezer so can actually buy meat when it is on sale. Our current freezers are full of frozen dinners and bags of frozen vegies.

I do hate having the fridge/freezer combo. You have to turn the fridge part down to freezing to get the freezer to stay frozen when it gets really cold out in the garage.

I plan on smoking a turkey breast on 1250, and a 20 pounder in the roaster because my wife needs the broth for her dressing and gravy. We have a lot to be thankful for.

Hi all,
Like @JGW, I'm not a turkey fan. For the last several years, I've swapped good ribeyes for turkey. This year, I'm smoking a full packer's cut brisket with sweet potatoes and asparagus as sides. To me, leftover brisket tacos are better than turkey sandwiches any day.
Ed

Hi all,
Like @JGW, I'm not a turkey fan. For the last several years, I've swapped good ribeyes for turkey. This year, I'm smoking a full packer's cut brisket with sweet potatoes and asparagus as sides. To me, leftover brisket tacos are better than turkey sandwiches any day.
Ed
I was thinking about smoking a full packer. My loan request was denied, turkey for me.

We do traditional turkey inside...I added a Prime Rib (Prime - Costco) a few years back. I think we only do the turkey now because everyone feels like we have to. Ha. I do a huge Prime Rib... great horseradish/lemon dip... it is a huge hit.

We leave for our hunting property Tgiving night and we take the left overs... smoked prime rib sandwiches in the blind the next day... Ummmm YEP!!!!

One of our local butchers makes fresh Turduckens and Turducken rolls. Since it is just me and the wife, I’m going to do a roll. They’re about 5 pounds give or take.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back