Bull What am I doing wrong?

I have cooked a number of 4 lb. chuck roast on an RT-700. They usually take around 7hrs. Once smoked, I cover and turn up the temp. Attached are some notes I took on a couple of the cooks that may help you.

Attachments

• Chuck roast.JPG
    Chuck roast.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 116
I didn't read all the comments so I apologize, did you sync your temp probe to the meat probes?...meaning, are you sure it was running at 225-250° ??
I have calibrated the Rec Teq probes (2) in ice water plus have compared all probes (Recteq + Enzoo) (4) in both ice water and higher temperatures and all read within 2 - 3 degrees of each other. I use my Enzoo as the "standard" and adjust the Rec Teq calibration if a significant difference appears.

I have also fired up the Rec Teq with nothing in it and all meat probes placed in the center area and then adjusted the offset on the internal Rec Teq probe to roughly correspond to the temperatures indicated by the meat probes.

When I cook brisket or roast the time it takes is much longer than the experts/recipes say.

As an example, I recently cooked a chuck roast weighing slightly under 4#. It cooked for 11 hours and only reached 150 degrees in spite of wrapping with butcher paper when the stall began at 140 degrees.

I finally had to take it off due to time constraints and it was predictably very chewy.

Besides the included meat probes, I use an ENZOO wireless thermometer. The temperature readings on the ENZOO are within a couple of degrees of the Recteq probes. Have also used ice/water to check probe temperature accuracy.

Helpful suggestions greatly aporeciated.

This is my first post on this forum. I have had the RT-700 for slightly over a year

Many thanks
clw2613
I think some of these mysteries may be solved if the following information was included with some of these problem cooks.

Outside Temperature?
Windy?
Cooker Insulation Blanket?
Set Feed Rate of Smoker?
Elevation?

My 3-2-1 St Louis Rib turn out exactly like yours. Wrapped in Pink Paper. I end up cooking 3-2-2 and they’re still like you describe.

Cook Temp 250°
OT 25°-30°
Wind. 4-8mph
No Blanket
Feed Rate 3.5
Elevation 5000 ft

Live in Montana, think I need a Blanket for starters. 🥶

Last edited:
Here's our Cheatsheet
As with everything .... times are approx:
SMOKED MEATS, TEMPS and TIMES CHEAT SHEET
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUSESMISC INFO
Beef Roast2402.5 - 3.0 hours145 -150Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend + ThymeFrom Costco
Beef Short Ribs2506 - 8 hours190 - 200Garlic Pepper and Salt BlendLO @ 12.0 + 2-3 @ 250
Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts2501.5 - 2.0 hours160 - 165Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend + OreganoFrom Costco
Boneless Pork Chops2501.5 - 2.0 hours145Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend + ThymeLet rest for 10-15 mins
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:00 pmU@150 / W@200+/-Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsU 8 hrs+/- (Paper)W 8 hrs+/- Rest 4+ hrs
Beef Jerky2004 - 5 hoursN/APepper, Garlic & Onion Powder and Sea Salt
Beef (Ribeye) Steak400R=120-125MR=130135M=140-145 MW=150-155 W=160-165On Sear Kit
Bloomin' Onion35045 min - 1 hourN/AAvo Oil or Butter, Salt, Garlic Powder
Burgers Patties2500.75 - 1.25 hours140 - 150
Cheese90 MAX !4 hours**Using Smoke Tube ONLY**Gouda, Jack, Longhorn, Mozzarella and Muenster1/4 turn every hour, let rest 10 - 14 days
Double Smoke Spiral Ham2502.5 - 3 hour140Maple Syrup Glaze (last hour)Add Smoke Tube
Double Smoke Turkey Breast2502.5 - 3 hour140Avo Oil, Garlic Pepper and Salt BlendAdd Smoke Tube
Hot Dawgs2400.5 - 1 hour140J-Dawg Cross Cut1/4 lb Costco, Thawed
Kroger Meatballs40020 - 30 mins155 - 160From Frozen
Onion Bombs42545 mins155 - 160Recipe Makes 4 BombsSee Word.doc for Recipe
Papa Murphy's Pizza42515 - 18 minsN/AAdd extra Mozzarella CheeseLet cool 5 mins
Poorman's Burnt EndsU@LO / W@250U-8 hours / W to Temp200 - 205Garlic, Onion, Pepper and Salt for 24 hrsN/A
Pineapple2001 - 1.5 hoursN/AOptional, brush with Maple Syrup after 30 minsN/A
Pork Belly / BaconLO + Smoke Tube5+/- hours140 - 1501/4 cup Salt + 1/2 cup Maple Syrup + 1 tbsp Pepper / 5 lbs for 14 - 18 daysPepper again before Smoking
Pork Butt10hrs@Lo + 2-4hrs@25012 - 14 hours190 - 200Garlic Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsRest for 30 mins
Pork RibsU-4.5hrs@210+0.5hr@275 - W-1.0hr@2756+/- hours200 - 210GPS&O Blend for 24 hrs Spray/15 mins@3 hrsWrap in Foil after 4 hours rest 15 mins
Pork Tenderloin / Roast2503.5 - 4.0 hours145 - 150Garlic Pepper and Salt BlendFrom Costco
Prime Rib2754.5 - 5 hours135 - 140 (MR - M)1 tbs of Garlic, Pepper, Rosemary, Salt and Thyme in a cup of Butter per 8 lbsLet rest 0.5 -1 hour
Salmon & Halibut2501.5 - 2.0 hours1601/3 Stick Melted Butter per FilletLO @ 12.0+ hours for Jerky
Whole Chicken250 - 450 for the last 30+/- mins3.5 - 4.0 hoursB/160-165 T/170-175Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, Salt1/2 Apple or Onion in Cavity
Whole Turkey2754.5 - 5 hoursB/165 T/170Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, Salt

Last edited:
Get the cook book by Aaron Franklin. My briskets were a disaster until I read his book. Basically he cooks hotter 275 degrees, keeps a water container in the pit for moisture, does not wrap until the brisket starts to come out of the stall (most wrap when they hit the stall temp). Double wraps in butcher paper not foil for briskets and pulls when the meat is tender. He recommends Prime cuts which you can now buy at Costco and many other places. Cook time depends on the meat, but my last cook using his method was fantastic on RT700.
What he said! I read Meatheads book and then Franklins as I was waiting for my Bull to arrive. I scrapped Meathead and have stuck with Franklin. Mostly because I'm impatient and what Franklin says about smoking makes sense and it's a hell of a lot faster. My results have been great - near perfect every time. I have my signals to monitor my temp and adjust the RecTec to it. You aren't going to get a lot of sleep doing Franklins methods - there's a lot of spritzing after the first 3 hours, but damn. The dude knows what he knows and this dude abides.
He's also on Masterclass with free articles on how to smoke brisket, ribs, and pork butt. Here's a link to his brisket instructions: <https://www.masterclass.com/article...with-barbeque-pitmaster-aaron-franklin#quiz-0> Just click out of the quiz - you don't need to complete it.
The book is completely worth it though. Lots of great info in there.

I wrap my brisket after I get out of the stall - usually at around 170-175. While it's in the stall, I'm spritzing with water every 30 minutes to help with the bark formation.

Well, tried again with another 4# roast. Started this one at 6PM and pulled off the grill at 1PM the next day after finally reaching 200 degrees. The meat probe test seems to indicate that it is tender, but won't know how it is until later today. It cooked at 225 degrees over night and was turned up to 250 about 8AM.

It has very dark bark that is not mushy.

Still 19 hours seems a bit much although didn't wrap it, just let it make its way through the stall which probably cost 3+ hours..

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere I think my next try will be at 250 degrees.

clw2613

Each cut of meat from each animal is going to cook differently. i did the same thing when i first started. I would find a recipe and then follow it to a T to include the time and it was never where I wanted it to be.

Except for chicken, and 3-2-1 ribs. i have cooked so much chicken that i know how it will go based on time. But everything else you need to go by temp. I'm not too far away from you in N. Ft. Worth

Many thanks for your insights!

Guess it is time to start my cooks, especially large cuts, the night before to give plenty of time for it to do its thing! At least with the RecTeq I can monitor it on my phone and tend to it if need be.

I have cooked pork ribs quite a bit and those, turn out OK, but not as tender as I would like. I have been using the 3-2-1 method and thinking about going just a bit longer on those.

Thx
clw2613
Wow, I have never had anything but amazing results with the 3-2-1 method and have to shorten the cooking time or they turn to mush. I am using a trailblazer and have had ambient temps as low as 20F and as hot as 90F and it is always the same. I hope you figure it out. I am in the process of saving up for a Bull, with all the trimmings now and this is a tad concerning. Hope you figure it out.

When I cook brisket or roast the time it takes is much longer than the experts/recipes say.

As an example, I recently cooked a chuck roast weighing slightly under 4#. It cooked for 11 hours and only reached 150 degrees in spite of wrapping with butcher paper when the stall began at 140 degrees.

I finally had to take it off due to time constraints and it was predictably very chewy.

Besides the included meat probes, I use an ENZOO wireless thermometer. The temperature readings on the ENZOO are within a couple of degrees of the Recteq probes. Have also used ice/water to check probe temperature accuracy.

Helpful suggestions greatly aporeciated.

This is my first post on this forum. I have had the RT-700 for slightly over a year

Many thanks
clw2613
I will just piggy back what others have been saying. BBQ cook times are not exact. Your times will be different from day to day. There are so many factors that go in to it. I wouldn’t completely dismiss the “experts times”, but, use them to plan from. Add a couple of hours to them to make sure you give yourself enough time. Also, if it goes quick, wrap the meat after it reaches your desired temp, in some old beach towels, abs put in an old cooler to rest. It will stay very warm for a few hours like this, and will help retain the juices, and keep it nice and tender.

FTC = FOIL - TOWEL - COOLER

Cover protien in foil, wrap that in a towel and then place in a cooler.
Personally I don't subscribe to using coolers for resting, at least not with the lid closed. An insulated cooler becomes an oven and continues cooking the meat, which is not the same as letting it rest.

With the lid open it's a fine place to secure wrapped meat from predators (i.e. salivating dogs roaming around the kitchen.)

Get the cook book by Aaron Franklin. My briskets were a disaster until I read his book. Basically he cooks hotter 275 degrees, keeps a water container in the pit for moisture, does not wrap until the brisket starts to come out of the stall (most wrap when they hit the stall temp).
If you cook brisket at 225 and wait until it's exiting the stall to wrap, you'll have an 18+ hour cook. You can do that with a higher temp, but the obvious downside there is less smoke penetration. Not an issue in a typical wood-burning offset smoker like Aaron uses, but it is definitely an issue with a pellet grill if you're looking for that deep penetrating smoke.

So the tradeoff with a pellet grill is to cook at the lower temperature for longer until it hits the stall. That will be a good six hours or more for a decent sized brisket. Then I wrap tight with butcher paper, raise the temp a bit to get over the stall, and lower back down to finish the cook slow and steady (only so I don't have to monitor as much, you can finish at a higher temp if monitoring frequently.)

I also find that Aaron suggests 150-160 for the stall temp. In reality the stall temp will vary quite a bit depending on relative humidity (I've seen 145) - all you can really do is monitor and accept the stall temp wherever it happens. As far as I can tell, letting it hang out in the stall for hours accomplishes nothing.

Last edited:
It’s not the weight of a piece of meat but rather the thickness of the piece of meat that determines how long it takes to cook. Also I have learned that there is nothing magical about cooking at 225. I run my Bull at 250-275 with great results every time. Plenty of smoke, plenty tender, and faster cooks.

I have learned that there is nothing magical about cooking at 225.
That's sort of true, but also not. Basically, 225° is the lowest possible temp (in 25° chunks) where the meat is assured to reach a target temperature around 200°. You could certainly cook at 220° or 230° and there would be no difference.

Think of 225° for a 200° cook like a car alternator running at 14V to charge a battery to 12V. There's nothing magical about 14V, but it is a nice happy place where most electrical systems will get the desired result without risking an overcharging situation.

For meats, using the lowest possible temp maximizes smoke penetration and ensures the exterior will not burn before the interior reaches temp. Through experimentation you may find you can still get a good result at higher temps. Nothing wrong with that. But if you're handing out blanket guidance, 225° is a universally safe bet.

The meat thickness is definitely true. I did two 8lb Pork butts this weekend @225° until 203°. I cook to tmp not time but as a general rule I say 2hrs let pound. These were definitely thicker than usual and ended up being 18.5 hrs. They were delicious, just passing that along. Amazingribs.com says this:
"So if a 4" thick slab takes about 3 hours at 225°F, an 8" thick slab will take about 12 hours. Here's a useful rule of thumb: When you double the thickness of meat the cooking time roughly quadruples."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back