Bull What am I doing wrong?

clw2613

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
When I cook brisket or roast the time it takes is much longer than the experts/recipes say.

As an example, I recently cooked a chuck roast weighing slightly under 4#. It cooked for 11 hours and only reached 150 degrees in spite of wrapping with butcher paper when the stall began at 140 degrees.

I finally had to take it off due to time constraints and it was predictably very chewy.

Besides the included meat probes, I use an ENZOO wireless thermometer. The temperature readings on the ENZOO are within a couple of degrees of the Recteq probes. Have also used ice/water to check probe temperature accuracy.

Helpful suggestions greatly aporeciated.

This is my first post on this forum. I have had the RT-700 for slightly over a year

Many thanks
clw2613

When I cook brisket or roast the time it takes is much longer than the experts/recipes say.

As an example, I recently cooked a chuck roast weighing slightly under 4#. It cooked for 11 hours and only reached 150 degrees in spite of wrapping with butcher paper when the stall began at 140 degrees.

I finally had to take it off due to time constraints and it was predictably very chewy.

Besides the included meat probes, I use an ENZOO wireless thermometer. The temperature readings on the ENZOO are within a couple of degrees of the Recteq probes. Have also used ice/water to check probe temperature accuracy.

This is my first post on this forum. I have had the RT-700 for slightly over a year

Many thanks
clw2613

Forgot to mention - cooking temperature was 225 degrees. Turned up to 250 degrees once it was evident that time was becoming an issue.
clw2613

Many thanks
clw2613
Altitude where you live? Ambient Temperature?

Welcome!

Was your Enzoo also monitoring your pit temp? If not, you should find a way to verify the pit as well; perhaps it wasn't actually at 225-250.

Yes. Monitoring grill temp with both the Enzoo and the built in probe.

Welcome to the Forum. Not sure if this will help but based on my many cooks this past year, I have concluded that estimated time is only a thin guideline. Especially when you start. And while temperature guidelines help, they are not the rule. I have yet to get a pork butt over 200. But, it was probe tender (probe going through the meat like it was warm butter literally) done and delicious. I had an 8.8 pound pork butt go 18 hours. Wrapped in peach paper at 174 after a long stall. Left it in about 4 hours longer until it was probe tender. It came off the grill at 176. Best butt I have ever made. From bark, to flavor and moistness. It was done! I always start long cooks at 225F (if not lower just to get more smoke flavor).

You want your pork to be safe to eat. At 165F it's safe. I have no idea why my butts take so long or why they never get over 200. But when they are done they are done. So my rule of thumb is...no rules.

I've also learned over the past year to not push the cook. Give yourself plenty of time to allow that meat to get to the sweet spot. We have all panicked and watched the clock praying our food will get done when we planned. Meat has a mind of its own.

There are so many variables in why meats cook longer, etc. Fresh meat vs meat that was frozen and thawed. Molecular changes occur in the structure of the cells when meat is frozen. Marbling, whether or not connective tissue was removed, brining, marinating. Sometimes you just get a tough, difficult cut of meat.

It's all about learning and when you become more comfortable and familiar with your grill and cooks, it's all worth it.

Many thanks for your insights!

Guess it is time to start my cooks, especially large cuts, the night before to give plenty of time for it to do its thing! At least with the RecTeq I can monitor it on my phone and tend to it if need be.

I have cooked pork ribs quite a bit and those, turn out OK, but not as tender as I would like. I have been using the 3-2-1 method and thinking about going just a bit longer on those.

Thx
clw2613

It seems that every time I do a pork butt it takes more time that what is supposed to be "normal". I have gotten to where I start pork butts the night before and let them cook all night. I had a 11.5 lb started at 10pm Sunday night and we ate at 3pm Monday and I did not let it rest for more than 15 minutes when I started pulling. That is a 17 hours. It got to 195 IT and was probe tender. Tasted great, good bark and I do not wrap. I expected to eat around 11-12... I have had better times with briskets but my RT700 always seems to take a little longer than I expect.

That is the crazy thing about the BBQ style of cooking. Other methods require precise temperature or precise time or both. For BBQ those are just guidelines. The meat always tells you when it is done.

I try to start large cuts of meat earlier than what the guideline says it will take to cook. If it takes longer than the guideline I have that time now built in the schedule. If it gets done earlier FTC keeps large cuts hot for hours.

I just try to enjoy the process, and more important enjoy the results of the process. Eating good Q.

That is the crazy thing about the BBQ style of cooking. Other methods require precise temperature or precise time or both. For BBQ those are just guidelines. The meat always tells you when it is done.

I try to start large cuts of meat earlier than what the guideline says it will take to cook. If it takes longer than the guideline I have that time now built in the schedule. If it gets done earlier FTC keeps large cuts hot for hours.

I just try to enjoy the process, and more important enjoy the results of the process. Eating good Q.
Next question: What is FTC? I have been using the "keep warm" setting on our kitchen electric oven. That temperature is 170 degrees. Is that OK?

clw2613

Guess it is time to start my cooks, especially large cuts, the night before to give plenty of time for it to do its thing! At least with the RecTeq I can monitor it on my phone and tend to it if need be.

I have cooked pork ribs quite a bit and those, turn out OK, but not as tender as I would like. I have been using the 3-2-1 method and thinking about going just a bit longer on those.

Thx
clw2613
I've been doing a modified 3-2-1 on my 590 for a number of rib cooks. 3 baby backs at a time, fat trimmed, rub, etc. 235 deg - 3 hrs, put in foil pan & foil cover on tight for 2 hrs with honey /brown sugar / rub / 1/4 cup apple juice, take out, sauce & put on grate for 30 to 45 min. Always very tender. Still have some apple juice in pan at the end of part 2. I did similar process (3 racks) on son-in-law's 340, except started at 235 for first part - used a rib rack with ribs on edge for first part, then 250 for rest of time. Also very tender. I don't lift the lid except at the end of each part. Other larger rib cuts could take longer - don't know. Did a Boston Butt (5 lbs) at 225 for 9 1/2 hrs, finally got to about 198 deg. Reasonably tender, but probably should have upped the temp for the last hour to get the roast to around 205 My ambient temps were in the high 80's & I'm at roughly sea level (Florida). Only disappointing time was with a 12 lb turkey, where the breast was about perfect, but the deep part by the thighs should have cooked another 30 minutes or more - then the breast would have been overcooked. So maybe use a foil cover? or turn over for second half of cook? My 590 holds temp very well in my environment, so maybe something about how the air circulates. Like a lot of people say - keep experimenting. Also meat condition varies somewhat. I'm trying to stick with same stores for meat. Also same pellets.

My pork butts usually take around 8-9 hours. I typically wrap around 150 to 155 degrees and turn temp up to 250.

On the turkey try spatchcock. I've done the 3 times now and they come out great, evenly cooked and very moist.

Thx
clw2613
I have had good results getting tender ribs switching things up a bit and doing 2-3-1.

I didn't read all the comments so I apologize, did you sync your temp probe to the meat probes?...meaning, are you sure it was running at 225-250° ??

Many thanks
clw2613
Get the cook book by Aaron Franklin. My briskets were a disaster until I read his book. Basically he cooks hotter 275 degrees, keeps a water container in the pit for moisture, does not wrap until the brisket starts to come out of the stall (most wrap when they hit the stall temp). Double wraps in butcher paper not foil for briskets and pulls when the meat is tender. He recommends Prime cuts which you can now buy at Costco and many other places. Cook time depends on the meat, but my last cook using his method was fantastic on RT700.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back