Weber and Traeger going public

both those grills are junk.

RT . do have problems time to time. let customer service work that out.

i have ben a weber purchaser since 1989.

the only grill that weber has that’s worth a dollar is the kettle charcoal grill and it’s not really worth $ they want for it.

weber fell asleep and slept on it, sold out and can’t figure out what the simplest problems are.

im worried about rectec. seems the will be doing the same in the near future.

That article says Weber "claims" to be the largest seller of outdoor cooking equipment, can't tell if that's lazy or snide reporting. According to industry numbers they represent 23% of US sales in that category........................that's HUGE when you consider how many sellers are in the marketplace. It seems that the general public doesn't share cynicism about the product pricing.

Though the parties involved decline comment, this looks a lot like the Stephen family that are the minority share holders to the investment firms want to be bought out. In another article the comment was made that the IPO proceeds were intended mostly for share buy backs, which might indicate what that debt program last fall was intended for but fell short. Sales last year were unusually high, likely due to Covid lockdown response from consumers, so valuations looking forward should be tempered for at least the short term.

Traeger is a different story. They have a relatively ambitious CEO who's trying to reinvigorate the company after it was taken over from the Traeger family. You can look up the whole story online, but there was a lot of hate and discontent from employees when the purchase shook out. Arson, subtle strikes, all the ugly. Caused a near complete overhaul of employees, moving headquarters, etc. Might explain, in part, why the company has been pretty meh for a few years. With the recent purchase of Meater and the projected release of more competitive products/features they may become a serious market force if they do it correctly. Their IPO funding will likely go to expansion/improvement of product rather than stock buy backs. Time will tell......

I still have my old Traeger until my daughter and husband come pick it up. There is nothing wrong with it, per se, but Recteq builds a much higher quality grill. From the body, to the racks. Controller is much much better as well.

Having said that.....you can cook good food on just about anything, including just over some logs, if you know what you are doing.

I still have my old Traeger until my daughter and husband come pick it up. There is nothing wrong with it, per se, but Recteq builds a much higher quality grill. From the body, to the racks. Controller is much much better as well.

Having said that.....you can cook good food on just about anything, including just over some logs, if you know what you are doing.

I once saw a picture of an "offset smoker" that someone made in the dirt.

For those that invested in the IPOs, Traeger (COOK) is up 24% and Weber (WEBR) is down about 3% from their IPO. Like many of my market predictions, it came out opposite of what I thought. :unsure:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back