RT-1070 We were on a break! (grill is mad at me)

SmokeOCD

In as few words as possible: cleaned it up, covered it up, went on vacation. 2 weeks later, it won't fire up.
Changed out the pellets, re-vacuumed the grill, tried to start it up - no dice.
Now this is first day back - we want bbq - and I've got meat sitting on the counter waiting to go on.
In a string of unfortunate events, a lighter won't work because the fan is too strong, my mapp torch is out of gas, so I went with a charcoal puck, like from a hukkah pipe.
I actually use it for incense - but that's besides the point.

I'm fired up grilling; chicken thighs with tequila lime seasoning done. Pork belly with SPOG & Brown Sugar probably going to take me to 9:30 - 10:00 tonight due to the delay. Tomorrow I'll need to see if it is willing to fire up on it's own - otherwise it's probably the igniter gone bad. Mostly wanted to share that you can still grill on a recteq even if your igniter goes out. ;)

I'll update tomorrow on whether the grill just needed to dry out - or if it was part failure.

I tried the grill one last time to see if the long cook last night dried out a wet part or something like that. Nope. So I went online - hit the support request link....
20 minutes after my support request was submitted online, I had a order confirmation for a new igniter. Not even a phone call. Nice! So, customer support is still holding up with its reputation. I know it's a different experience for everyone; this time was really smooth for me.

In as few words as possible: cleaned it up, covered it up, went on vacation. 2 weeks later, it won't fire up.
Changed out the pellets, re-vacuumed the grill, tried to start it up - no dice.
Now this is first day back - we want bbq - and I've got meat sitting on the counter waiting to go on.
In a string of unfortunate events, a lighter won't work because the fan is too strong, my mapp torch is out of gas, so I went with a charcoal puck, like from a hukkah pipe.
I actually use it for incense - but that's besides the point.

I'm fired up grilling; chicken thighs with tequila lime seasoning done. Pork belly with SPOG & Brown Sugar probably going to take me to 9:30 - 10:00 tonight due to the delay. Tomorrow I'll need to see if it is willing to fire up on it's own - otherwise it's probably the igniter gone bad. Mostly wanted to share that you can still grill on a recteq even if your igniter goes out. ;)

I'll update tomorrow on whether the grill just needed to dry out - or if it was part failure.
Easy to check. Plug it in, remove grates pan and diffuser, press settings, go to testing and select ignition. If it is ok the igniter will heat up as you watch. You can drop a couple of pellets on it to see them respond.

They sent me a complete firepot, igniter already installed. Little strange, definitely overkill. When the box arrived I was thinking how wasteful for a 6 oz part shaped like a chapstick with wires. Then I picked it up, and thought they must have thrown in something extra, like a sauce or a rub. I opened it up and in the tons and tons of packing paper - was a firepot with preinstalled igniter, and a loose molex connector rattling around in the box. I actually had to shake out the packing material, else it would have gone in the trash.
Anyway vacuum the grill out - 4 hex head screws on the pot, 4 little phillips holding the front panel on and I could begin surgery. They don't mention this in the instructions they sent with the firepot, but I used electrical tape to fasten the new wires to the old wires. When I pulled the old wires out from underneath, the new wires were then pulled into place. Popped on the molex, zip tie everything back in place, screw everything back nice and snug - and we have fire again.

Kudos to Recteq for their customer service, it was one of the big reason I went with RT!

and you have a spare fire pot if ever needed. (doubt that).

Happy it worked out. I must have missed a post. Was your pit flooded at some point?

I got flooded again (the RT) - I don't think it was supposed to rain - IT POURED!!!
Standard grease all over, overflowing grease catch, blah blah blah...
What's new is I got the *POOF*. So my firepot was wet? or greasy? or wet and greasy?
This is the first time - I turned it up to 500 to dry it out before grilling. Nasty smoke billowing out, I ended up opening it up before the big bang - only got a little poof, but it's the only time I ever got that.
Yay. I found the original post. Question answered.

Same as you, took a break from using it and it didn't fire up when I needed it. Strange.
I ran the IGN test, yup dead. Gave them a call. We checked everything else over the phone.
My new igniter is on the way. $40 part under warranty.
Until install I'll be torch lighting it. Not that big of a deal. Don't turn it on till you get pellets going strong in the pot. Then everything works as normal.

Took my Pitboss forever to ignite the pellets, my 590 does it in half the time. Good for RT making this right, I can't imagine this is a big failure item for them.

Really interested in what arrives. $40 is a lot for a little glowstick. Mine was $80, but ended up being the whole firepot assembly.
This is what my order reads:

RT-CIGNR
Quantity:1

PTCEIG
Hotflash Ceramic Igniter Rod

RT-MOLXC
Molex Connector

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back