BFG Waterpan, yes or no?

I have not used one on my Bull. I've done a few reasonably long smokes for briskets and a rib roast. The meat came out very tender, so did not seem like the water pan would have been necessary.

I have used water pans on an electric smoker and for big turkeys on a Weber Summit where I added smoke boxes with chips.

I used a water pan in my drum smoker for brisket (and I wrapped in pink paper). Just did my first brisket on the Bull, no water pan, no wrap 18.5 hours and it was tender and juicy.

here is a picture at the 12 hour mark.

Attachments

• 4EA3DE73-78A4-4502-9497-8963593D4993.jpeg
    4EA3DE73-78A4-4502-9497-8963593D4993.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 82
Why would you want to use a water pan? If you believe it adds moisture to the food you're fooling yourself. If you understand that it is really a heat sink for controlling temperature spikes and heat distribution then you wasted money on a PID controlled smoker. In other words you have electronics on an RT that do the job, no water pan needed.

Why would you want to use a water pan? If you believe it adds moisture to the food you're fooling yourself. If you understand that it is really a heat sink for controlling temperature spikes and heat distribution then you wasted money on a PID controlled smoker. In other words you have electronics on an RT that do the job, no water pan needed.

Thank you! As I mentioned on my post, first time pellet user here!! Appreciate the feedback!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back