Water pan

Uncle BoBo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just got the 700
I'm not an expert nor a newbie to smoking
I've always been told n used a water pan on some smoked
Where's the water pan

Welcome to the group. Since I have never used a water pan, I am not the best person to offer any suggestions. Others in the group will have far more experience.

Welcome! I will let the experts chime in with a better answer, but I have never used a liquid pan with my Bull. I did use one with my electric smoker. I dont think one is needed. I think liquids are used to help retain moisture and control temperature. The pellet grills do a greate job of controlling temp for you. I have never had any moisture issues unless I just overcook something.

As above I've never used a water pan in my Bull either, I personally don't believe it's needed in my opinion. This is a great, informative forum with real helpful people that can answer any questions you may have with your new Bull.

How about a tin foil bread pan on one side of the grill.
I used water in my WSM but it was really to hold the heat on long cooks which isn't needed with a pellet pooper. I'm new at the RT so have no experience with it and water.

@Uncle BoBo this pellet deal is a whole new world, and has a little learning curve. We learn everyday in this group, one of the reasons it's a great place. Try the search function there should be a few posts on this already. You can use one if you choose but, there's reasons you don't need one in this smoker/convection oven. You'll be amazed at how dry cooks look on the outside sometimes,but a really juicy on the inside.

How about a tin foil bread pan on one side of the grill.
I used water in my WSM but it was really to hold the heat on long cooks which isn't needed with a pellet pooper. I'm new at the RT so have no experience with it and water.
It's not really needed on these pellet smokers, they hold the temps spot on.

I had to do a double take on the original posters screen name........ :ROFLMAO: whew!

All the folks that say it's not necessary are correct. For some smoker styles it's a useful tool to moderate hot spots. The biggest myth about the water pan is the it adds moisture to the meat making it more juicy...……...….........….physically impossible, but sometimes folks need a teddy bear to believe in.

I had to do a double take on the original posters screen name........ :ROFLMAO: whew!

All the folks that say it's not necessary are correct. For some smoker styles it's a useful tool to moderate hot spots. The biggest myth about the water pan is the it adds moisture to the meat making it more juicy...……...….........….physically impossible, but sometimes folks need a teddy bear to believe in.
I love my teddy bear, she is 65 pounds, has 4 paws, barks occasionally, have to feed her, let her outside and is generally in my near vicinity or stuck to one of my legs.
20200517_073633.jpg

I love my teddy bear, she is 65 pounds, has 4 paws, barks occasionally, have to feed her, let her outside and is generally in my near vicinity or stuck to one of my legs.View attachment 4135

Alright, I was with you until those last six words...……………….for some dogs that's not the best look. :ROFLMAO:

Thanx uncle Bob
I was one of those who was thought when doing chicken, brisket, bacon that waterpan was needed to keep from drying out
Learn something new every day
I appreciate all the feedback
If my 700 ever gets here today I'll be christening it with wings n Boston burnt ends tomorrow ??

Thanx uncle Bob
I was one of those who was thought when doing chicken, brisket, bacon that waterpan was needed to keep from drying out
Learn something new every day
I appreciate all the feedback
If my 700 ever gets here today I'll be christening it with wings n Boston burnt ends tomorrow ??
(y)

Apparently, Im an outlier here. I NOW use a water pan. Always. Tried without, using wrapping etc, but with it, I found my bark stays way more moist.

Never even though about holding temps. It does that ok without water. FWIW.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read from a pellet manufacturer or two (or elsewhere) that the water content in pellets is high enough to negate any need for water in the cook chamber. That doesn't mean I'm suggesting that folks who do use water shouldn't do so. It would seem logical to me that using water will create a moist environment but will not make our meat more juicy, as UB noted. I could, however, see where a more moist environment could affect the bark, and possibly the smoke ring (though in my case I enjoy some mildly crunchy bark ?).

When I started out with WSM's I migrated to the no-water method and it suited my personal preference, so I'm not even sure I would know how to change things up if I began using water in my smokers. Yet there are folks with lots more experience than myself who always use water--and with tremendous success--during their low-heat smokes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back