Beef Waiting for my 590!!

RecTeqEllis

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello all! New to RecTeq. Looking forward to my first cook but already have questions!

Have any of you cooked chicken and beef at the same time?
Do I really need a sear kit to finish a steak?

Ellis

Hi welcome! I am a relative Newby and I will give you my 2 cents!
I have a 590 and love it. No I have not cooked any 2 meats at the same time. YES I would get a sear kit. They give you a lot of versatility. The 590 uses indirect heat, so you will not get a sear on most meats. My first big cook was a beef tenderloin, cooked on 590 low and slow then seared on the grillgrates, it was a thing of beauty.

It makes a huge difference on chicken breasts, steaks and burgers.

I also cook pizza on my grill grates love them!

So in my opinion it gives you more options and latitude on your 590.

Full disclosure, I did buy a Bullseye to cook fast and hot, honestly I love them both and use them both weekly.

Love the forum they have helped me along my journey! Happy if I can help even if a little!

Last edited:
You can cook a steak without Grill Grates but you won’t get a good crispy char on the outside.

I’ve cooked chicken and steaks at the same time, turned out fine (I did sear the steak on my gas grill). I cook chicken and steaks at 450 not worrying about any smoke.

I’ve done a few tri tips lately at 400-450 with no sear and they have turned out really good, just no crispy sear on the outside.

Just play around and see if it is good enough for you. If not, get some Grill Grates or better yet a Bullseye. Good luck with the cooks!

I have a 700 but I also only cook low and slow on it. I agree that although grill grates can work it it is better to have another high heat option for searing. Depending on what I am cooking, I choose between a Blackstone griddle, infrared gas grill, or Weber kettle with SnS Slow and Sear. I AM seriously looking at the Bullseye as well.

RecTeqEllis you'll find your way that being said I agree with jfrosty27. I use my Weber gas grill for cooking steaks & chicken & my 590 for smoking ribs, briskets, pork butts etc.​

I get my Weber gas grill to 600 degrees for steak & sear each side for about 35 seconds then move the steak to the opposite side of grill where I have NO FLAME close lid & bake (@ 500-600 degrees) the steak to 123 -125 degrees then pull the steak it should be bubbling on the outside next let it sit until it reaches 128-130 degrees. I season my steaks with Traeger Rub before the cook.

You can cook a steak without Grill Grates but you won’t get a good crispy char on the outside.

I’ve cooked chicken and steaks at the same time, turned out fine (I did sear the steak on my gas grill). I cook chicken and steaks at 450 not worrying about any smoke.

I’ve done a few tri tips lately at 400-450 with no sear and they have turned out really good, just no crispy sear on the outside.

Just play around and see if it is good enough for you. If not, get some Grill Grates or better yet a Bullseye. Good luck with the cooks!
Thanks! I will definitely be experimenting with lots of stuff real soon!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back