Wagyu Steak - First Time for me

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I recently tried American Wagyu NY steak for the first time. It was really great. We'll probably get more on special occasions.

I've seen it in more and more markets and restaurants. It used to be I'd only see a Wagyu cut in Japanese markets and some specialty markets. The Japanese markets usually had some thinly sliced "sukiyaki meat" (flank is the most common) and if they had a steak cut, it would be maybe 5/8" thick. In recent years, it seems to be more and more prevalent.

I hadn't really been interested in the super fatty Kobe like steaks I had seen, but our Costco has been carrying American Wagyu steaks and it caught my eye. So, I bought a nice thick American Wagyu NY steak that was big enough for me and my wife to share. It was closer to a step up from Prime than to a super fatty Kobe steak I had seen in Japanese markets and frankly our Costco's selection of Prime NY that day wasn't the best of what I had seen in the past.

I like medium-rare (red in the middle) and my wife likes rare (red most of the way through, but warm). So, the super fatty style seems like it would be not so appealing. It looks more like a slab of fat with a bit of meat to me. I've always thought that the Japanese developed Kobe Beef because they cook the life out of red meat. At least that was the way it was when I lived there and when my Japanese mother cooked red meat. :(

Am I missing out on something great by avoiding the super fatty Kobe style meat? (other than a stroke or heart attack)

This is close to what I bought at Costco. Maybe slightly leaner
0000818_wagyu-aged-boneless-strip-steak_882.jpeg

This is more like the Kobe beef I'd seen in Japanese markets
Kobe beef.png

Last edited:
Personally I fo not like the Japanese/Kibe style beef. Tastes like a beef flavored stick of butter to me. Just way too rich. But to each their own…..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time choking down that really fatty one, especially as it started to cool.

I had an American Wagyu sirloin at a restaurant a couple days ago. It was very good. But it was more like a great Prime grade than the "stick-o-butter" type.

Personally I fo not like the Japanese/Kibe style beef. Tastes like a beef flavored stick of butter to me. Just way too rich. But to each their own…..
I appreciate your candor and I have had Wagyu that fits your description. When I go to Japan (Ginza) I’ve been to the #2 Wagyu restaurant in the world (by their claim) and a 4oz piece is almost $300.00. The good news is that it is a traditional 7 course meal with all the trappings (including the lowered tables and pits, and kimonos for the staff) and everything is prepared table side. They also issue a certificate of authenticity that comes with your receipt that can be framed and put on a wall. The even better part is going to an after dinner restaurant to calm the growls in my stomach. From my perspective, you can go to Costco, get some Spenalis Dorsi wrapped (its really the caps removed from the ribeye tied by the butcher) and have almost an equal dinner experience for significantly less money. Even the fat content will remind you of the A-5 if properly prepared. The only thing missing will be the overly “butter“ feel as true Wagyu fat dissolves at just under 100 degrees in your mouth.

I appreciate your candor and I have had Wagyu that fits your description. When I go to Japan (Ginza) I’ve been to the #2 Wagyu restaurant in the world (by their claim) and a 4oz piece is almost $300.00. The good news is that it is a traditional 7 course meal with all the trappings (including the lowered tables and pits, and kimonos for the staff) and everything is prepared table side. They also issue a certificate of authenticity that comes with your receipt that can be framed and put on a wall. The even better part is going to an after dinner restaurant to calm the growls in my stomach. From my perspective, you can go to Costco, get some Spenalis Dorsi wrapped (its really the caps removed from the ribeye tied by the butcher) and have almost an equal dinner experience for significantly less money. Even the fat content will remind you of the A-5 if properly prepared. The only thing missing will be the overly “butter“ feel as true Wagyu fat dissolves at just under 100 degrees in your mouth.

+1 on the Spin Dor. I have one left in the fridge. I'm waiting for a night when the wife is out. Then, party time. Grilled ribeye cap over mesquite wood charcoal, baked tater, maybe some grilled onions, and I'll pop and decant a good cab for one of these. I really love a good burgundy/pinot noir, but a mesquite grilled steak and a good cab are a hard pairing to beat.
https://jesspryles.com/spinalis-dorsi-ribeye-cap/

Attachments

• spinalis-dorsi-rib-eye-cap-2.jpg
    spinalis-dorsi-rib-eye-cap-2.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 49

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back