Wagyu Brisket vs Prime Brisket

BethV congrats on the cook. I am happy everything worked out. Based on your history here and your abilities, I had confidence that you event would be spectacular. As I mentioned in my earlier post, everyone has a different perspective on “taste” and what they like. I recently made some pork belly cubes and although fatty to me, my guests wolfed them down like it was their last meal. Were you happy with the yield from the wagyu? I typically have about 75% post trim and cook with the Costco prime, and found it was about 50-55% with the wagyu. I realize muscle weighs more than fat but the shrinkage on the wagyu seemed excessive. One thing I also noticed was that the wagyu required less trimming as I think the seller/butcher recognized the value of the fat for rendering into tallow. Your cook time aligned with my experiences, they claim for select ~1 hour per pound, for prime ~1.25 hours per pound, and for wagyu I have seen almost ~1.5 hours per pound at 225F. (That of course excludes resting for 4 hours.) I also use peach paper instead of foil. I like the foil if I am running tight on time but the bark doesn’t usually stand up well after foiling in comparison to the paper that allows the meat to “breathe” instead of steaming the bark away. I am also glad that you received additional guidance on keeping the tallow which I always do so it can be ground into sausage or added to lean ground beef to add fat, flavor, and texture. (Meat loaf will never be the same, hehe.). I will be tempted to prepare the strawberry baste when I make burnt ends next time. The combination seems more dessert like than true BBQ but when it comes to food, I love to experiment.

Looking forward to your next information share,

Congrats again.

(Sorry for the late reply, I have been “offline” for a while as I have been overwhelmed by this thing call life.)

@SmokeZilla Thanks for the kind post.

I was surprisingly pleased with the yield from the Wagyu. I normally do a lot of fat trimming on all my meats. I'd much rather have bark than fat on any cut of meat. If I don't think it will render out, I remove it.

The strawberry with the cilantro, jalapeno and the burnt end was really interesting. The biggest challenge was getting it all in your mouth at once. The sweetness of the strawberry with the bite of the jalapeno took the burnt end down a whole other path that was very good. Probably won't do that again.

A client of mine who I still cook for was the lucky recipient of some of the leftover burnt ends. I cook for her weekly. She texted me last week asking if I would add burnt ends to her menu this week. I had to explain that burnt ends don't grow on trees. She had no idea what it takes to get those burnt ends. So I had the butcher cut me a 3 pound chuck roast and made burnt ends from that. They were really good. I was surprised. They cooked about 14 hours but the finished product was great. I'll definitely do that again in a pinch.

I do want to try pork belly burnt ends but I'm concerned that they might be fatty. I would have to cook it and render all of the fat out. I make porchetta and cook it in the oven low and slow and all of the fat renders out. Amazing piece of meat.

Attachments

• burnt ends.jpg
    burnt ends.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Beth, I've used "flap meat " from Costco for burnt ends a few times. I thought it approximated the long large muscle fiber and fat of a brisket point. Recommended you try it as it seems to always be available at Costco.
@SmokeZilla Thanks for the kind post.

I was surprisingly pleased with the yield from the Wagyu. I normally do a lot of fat trimming on all my meats. I'd much rather have bark than fat on any cut of meat. If I don't think it will render out, I remove it.

The strawberry with the cilantro, jalapeno and the burnt end was really interesting. The biggest challenge was getting it all in your mouth at once. The sweetness of the strawberry with the bite of the jalapeno took the burnt end down a whole other path that was very good. Probably won't do that again.

A client of mine who I still cook for was the lucky recipient of some of the leftover burnt ends. I cook for her weekly. She texted me last week asking if I would add burnt ends to her menu this week. I had to explain that burnt ends don't grow on trees. She had no idea what it takes to get those burnt ends. So I had the butcher cut me a 3 pound chuck roast and made burnt ends from that. They were really good. I was surprised. They cooked about 14 hours but the finished product was great. I'll definitely do that again in a pinch.

I do want to try pork belly burnt ends but I'm concerned that they might be fatty. I would have to cook it and render all of the fat out. I make porchetta and cook it in the oven low and slow and all of the fat renders out. Amazing piece of meat.

BethV.
Thanks for the update. I am starting to think strawberries should be saved for daiquiris, pies, and preserves, haha. I agree on the chuck roast. It is full of flavor and when properly prepared, can taste fantastic. I like to inject them with of wagyu tallow infused with brown sugar, onion and garlic juice. If you have any trimmings left from your last brisket, you can boil/simmer them until the fat renders and use that as tallow instead of the wagyu. If you really want to have fun, it can be pulled just like pork and served on sandwiches or in a tortilla with all the ‘fixins’. Just don’t forget the cole slaw!

BethV.
Thanks for the update. I am starting to think strawberries should be saved for daiquiris, pies, and preserves, haha. I agree on the chuck roast. It is full of flavor and when properly prepared, can taste fantastic. I like to inject them with of wagyu tallow infused with brown sugar, onion and garlic juice. If you have any trimmings left from your last brisket, you can boil/simmer them until the fat renders and use that as tallow instead of the wagyu. If you really want to have fun, it can be pulled just like pork and served on sandwiches or in a tortilla with all the ‘fixins’. Just don’t forget the cole slaw!
Thanks for the ideas!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back