Wagyu Beef Tallow

Djmthr33

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
My RecTeq RT-700 should be delivered this Friday. LFG! So question for the veteran smokers out there.....I've seen Wagyu beef tallow being used when wrapping a brisket...but has anyone used wagyu beef tallow as a binder before seasoning? I feel like this is a good practice. Yes, no, maybe?

C. Keeper

Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. RT-680
My RecTeq RT-700 should be delivered this Friday. LFG! So question for the veteran smokers out there.....I've seen Wagyu beef tallow being used when wrapping a brisket...but has anyone used wagyu beef tallow as a binder before seasoning? I feel like this is a good practice. Yes, no, maybe?
Won't the tallow wash off rub when heated?

Djmthr33

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Won't the tallow wash off rub when heated?
That's a good call out. But I think it would wash off if you laid it on thick, but with a nice thin layer just enough for the rub to adhere may work. I may experiment with it and see who if shakes out.

kstone113

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I use beef tallow when doing brisket. I wait till I wrap in butcher paper. I like to heat it up to a liquid state and put some on the paper where I put the brisket and some on top of the brisket but don't want to mess up the bark so I'm careful.

You can make your own beef tallow but isn't too expensive at the store and I think it's worth it when doing the butcher paper wrap.

I haven't used as a binder. I usually don't bind at all but if I do, I just use like olive oil or whatever I have.

Pacman

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I know people that run soft butter and herbs on things like a prime rib, but if your goal is to get smoke into the meat, I wouldn't add tallow before starting my cook. I've put too much rub alone on things and had poor smoke penetration. I'd imagine rubbing tallow all over cold meat would seal out a lot of smoke.

BradBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Ive injected a choice packer with tallow for a holiday and spread the excess as a binder. If you dont keep it to a very thin layer, it will come right off. I would recommend using something like mustard and save the tallow for the wrap (or inject if youre feeling frisky). The tallow can be better used in another way than as a binder.

TLDR; Tallow as a binder is more a hinderance than a benefit.

Djmthr33

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I know people that run soft butter and herbs on things like a prime rib, but if your goal is to get smoke into the meat, I wouldn't add tallow before starting my cook. I've put too much rub alone on things and had poor smoke penetration. I'd imagine rubbing tallow all over cold meat would seal out a lot of smoke.
Makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the insight!

Djmthr33

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Ive injected a choice packer with tallow for a holiday and spread the excess as a binder. If you dont keep it to a very thin layer, it will come right off. I would recommend using something like mustard and save the tallow for the wrap (or inject if youre feeling frisky). The tallow can be better used in another way than as a binder.

TLDR; Tallow as a binder is more a hinderance than a benefit.
Thanks for the advice, Brad!

Djmthr33

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So the general consensus is NO beef tallow for a binder, but use it during the wrap portion of the cook. Glad I asked! Would hate for my first brisket cook to turn out trash. LMAO. Thanks, guys! Appreciate you!

Jim6820

The Crazy Ol’ Basque!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Is that really even possible? I guess my standards are quite low.. I'll eat just about anything that comes off the smoker unless it was burned to a crisp LOL.

Good luck with it.. good advice above.
At the price of brisket these days, I’m with @sdynak on this. Pretty hard to make brisket totally inedible. There’s always the chili and hash options.

DenStinett

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
If you put the Tallow on (lightly) as a Liquid, I don't see why it wouldn't work .... never thought about it
Have never used a "Binder" in any of our Cooks

(this one's for CK)
Wouldn't the 3 Rings and the Plastic Cover cause an issue ? ! ?

C. Keeper

Dressed to Kill
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. RT-680
If you put the Tallow on (lightly) as a Liquid, I don't see why it wouldn't work .... never thought about it
Have never used a "Binder" in any of our Cooks

(this one's for CK)
Wouldn't the 3 Rings and the Plastic Cover cause an issue ? ! ?
When I've tried it, the liquid solidifies on the cold meat YMMV

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.