Very Nervous

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Help. It looks like I’m going to have to replace my modem and wireless router. Old Apple Airport is close to dead. Does this mean I have to start over, connecting my Bull to WiFi. The first time it took me days and tons of restarts. Tell me it’s
not so- ??

Help. It looks like I’m going to have to replace my modem and wireless router. Old Apple Airport is close to dead. Does this mean I have to start over, connecting my Bull to WiFi. The first time it took me days and tons of restarts. Tell me it’s
not so- ??
Yes you will along with everything else that uses Wi-Fi in the house, it's really not that bad or hard to do. My major suggestion is to make sure to separate the bands one on 2.4 Ghz the other on 5 Ghz and if it has a guest one set that too.

I have used Linksys routers for many years and the last one I purchased many years ago I was able to separate the bands, There pretty much named the same XXX 2.4GHz and XXX 5GHz. , I would think this would continue but maybe talk to Linksys directly as that puppy ain't cheap.
I know. Hate having to mess with this stuff but I’m losing internet access throughout the day. ??

I know. Hate having to mess with this stuff but I’m losing internet access throughout the day. ??
I hear you luckily I haven't had many Wi-Fi issues except for mine is weak in my driveway the garage and that's 60ish feet away from my Linksys and Xfinity routers, but I can go across the street to my neighbors house that's a few hundred feet away and have a great signal. Wi-Fi is kind of fluky depending on what the signal has to go through.

I hear you luckily I haven't had many Wi-Fi issues except for mine is weak in my driveway the garage and that's 60ish feet away from my Linksys and Xfinity routers, but I can go across the street to my neighbors house that's a few hundred feet away and have a great signal. Wi-Fi is kind of fluky depending on what the signal has to go through.
I get 2 signals from my neighbors house which is quite a distance from us. I wanted my wife to chat up the neighbors wife and “get” their password but she is to nice a person for that. ??

I get 2 signals from my neighbors house which is quite a distance from us. I wanted my wife to chat up the neighbors wife and “get” their password but she is to nice a person for that. ??
I too get a lot of the neighbors Wi-Fi signals too, It's amazing how may Wi-Fi signals, hot spots that are open, not password protected and you can use if you wanted to for free. Xfinity Mobile, my cell provider has a ton of open Wi-Fi out there that you can pretty much use coast to coast unless the customer turned the xfinitywifi on there router off like I did.

Last edited:
My suggestion to make the migration a little easier. When you install the new WiFi router, keep the same SSID / password combination. That way devices that are configured will simply reconnect. This is what I did when I replaced my Netgear with Ubiquiti. My 2 cents.

Also, I haven’t had to split my bands, single SSID, connectivity has been a non-issue. Ubiquiti UniFi system, Dream Machine and AP-HD in wall.

Last edited:
My suggestion to make the migration a little easier. When you install the new WiFi router, keep the same SSID / password combination. That way devices that are configured will simply reconnect. This is what I did when I replaced my Netgear with Ubiquiti. My 2 cents.
Sorry for the foolish question but how do I do that? Easy is good for me. ??

Sorry for the foolish question but how do I do that? Easy is good for me. ??
@Gotbbq never a foolish question when it relates to something you’re not familiar with. ?

Anyhow, when you setup the new hardware the Linksys app that is used will prompt you to name your network,this is also referred to as an SSID. The SSID is the unique identifier that your network broadcasts so your devices can connect to it. If you keep the same name and password as your previous setup, your devices will use the same credentials when they connect to the new network.
Hope this makes sense.

-David

@Gotbbq never a foolish question when it relates to something you’re not familiar with. ?

Anyhow, when you setup the new hardware the Linksys app that is used will prompt you to name your network,this is also referred to as an SSID. The SSID is the unique identifier that your network broadcasts so your devices can connect to it. If you keep the same name and password as your previous setup, your devices will use the same credentials when they connect to the new network.
Hope this makes sense.

-David
Surprisingly, it did. Sound too easy to be true ? I’ll know on Thursday when it arrives. Much appreciated. Thanks ??

Hope this makes sense.

-David
Question if you change router manufactures is this SSID password transfer happen the same way?

Question if you change router manufactures is this SSID password transfer happen the same way?
Yes. The wireless device (phone, grill, laptop, etc) pretty much only stores three pieces of information. The SSID (network name), the authentication protocol, and the password to connect to that SSID. Look at the configuration of your old router and just write down those three pieces of information (you probably know the name and password without looking at the router). The authentication protocol will be one of (WEP, WPA, or WPA2) most likely. Then when your new router comes in, make sure you set all three of those values in your new router to match the settings in your old router.

Yes. The wireless device (phone, grill, laptop, etc) pretty much only stores three pieces of information. The SSID (network name), the authentication protocol, and the password to connect to that SSID. Look at the configuration of your old router and just write down those three pieces of information (you probably know the name and password without looking at the router). The authentication protocol will be one of (WEP, WPA, or WPA2) most likely. Then when your new router comes in, make sure you set all three of those values in your new router to match the settings in your old router.
I’m going to check right now and get the info- Much thanks ??

Yes, if your authentication method is the same on the new as old.
Example, I used WPA-PSK on my Netgear, ASUS and now Ubiquiti, kept the same SSID and password never had to reconfigure my devices.

Yes, if your authentication method is the same on the new as old.
Example, I used WPA-PSK on my Netgear, ASUS and now Ubiquiti, kept the same SSID and password never had to reconfigure my devices.
Good to hear. Expecting a train wreck hoping for something less. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back