Bullseye Vent Cleaning

Hilbe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
What's the best tool and frequency to clean the bullseye vents?

P.S. Has anyone taken the spacer off? Part of me thinks there's a reason RT left it out of the package...

1. I use an old toothbrush from the inside, every time I clean the fire pot (every 3-5 cooks).

2. recteq has flip flopped on the spacer over time. The OG Bullseye didn’t have as many vents in the lid, then they added vents and the SS model didn‘t ship with a spacer, then it did again… I did not have a spacer on my first SS Bullseye, then it came with one on my second and I installed it. I can’t say I saw a difference either way.

I'm still thinking I should take it off. Maybe less airflow (just using vents) minimizes grease fires? Maybe my logic is off.

What does the spacer look like? I bought my 380 in November and I am pretty sure it doesn’t have any spacer.

I did have a fire in the hopper last week that I think was caused by the vents being blocked.
I contacted RT and they said most hopper fires were caused by vent clogs.

I thought I was doing a good job of keeping the grill clean but after the fire I took a scraper to the vents and some were partially blocked....you really couldn’t tell by looking at them.

If you notice your grill not getting as hot as it used to or any blow back smoke coming from the hopper ...clean the vents.

I used to keep the grill on a covered patio attached to my garage but I think I will move it out in the yard when I cook on it anymore.

The spacer was like a L shape that connects to handle hardware. I think it was enclosed in plastic bag.

What does the spacer look like? I bought my 380 in November and I am pretty sure it doesn’t have any spacer.

I did have a fire in the hopper last week that I think was caused by the vents being blocked.
I contacted RT and they said most hopper fires were caused by vent clogs.

I thought I was doing a good job of keeping the grill clean but after the fire I took a scraper to the vents and some were partially blocked....you really couldn’t tell by looking at them.

If you notice your grill not getting as hot as it used to or any blow back smoke coming from the hopper ...clean the vents.

I used to keep the grill on a covered patio attached to my garage but I think I will move it out in the yard when I cook on it anymore.
Wow, I hope that is not the case. I just bought a 380 to compliment my 590, which has been great.

I did have a lid/hinge problem first off. Do I need to be concerned about my Bullseye? It is on my porch and don't want to burn my house down! I do have a spacer!

I use just a butter knife to make sure the vents are clear but before that, I use my stainless steel wire ball and scrub stuff off. I usually just go off looks but do this every couple weeks.

As far as the spacer, mine(I got my SS bullseye in the 3rd round of releases I believe last July) did NOT come with a spacer but I called and had one sent out. I think it does need it for air flow.

However - if you can still get to high temps without it, go for it. I've noticed when vents aren't clean the the rim build up grim, the grill will not get as high(usually stops in the 600's) if there isn't good airflow. But if you can get to high(and that's assuming you want to) on riot mode, then just take it off but I would keep it just in case.

I was having issues with smoke coming out of the hopper and after cleaning it out really well I still couldn't figure it out. Smoke would billow out even on low cooks. Temps were holding and food was being cooked. I noticed that the only thing that stopped it was raising the lid. Saw that my vents were clogged. I used a plastic picnic knife to clean them out. Problem solved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back