Venison

Doc Holladay

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Rookie question time:
My wife and I drove to Augusta and bought the Bull last week. Unfortunately, she likes all meat well done. What internal temperature would you recommend for venison backstraps and hams? What grill temp setting and any other tips?
Thanks Yall

Recteq has a bacon wrapped venison recipe. So does Traeger and others have venison recipes. I would start there and see what peaks your taste buds.

i would season it with salt and pepper and smoke it at 225 until it reaches an internal temperature of 110 then remove it from the grill and turn the grill up to 400-500 and sear it until 130 for deer. its so lean its easy to dry out. 130 will have alittle blood on the plate when you cut it but be very moist. if you don’t want blood i would try to get to 140 but no more because it can get tough quickly

If you cook it any more done than rare/medium rare it will be tough, dry and taste like liver. Game meat can be a tricky one unless you do a pot roast type dish. You could also pound it and do a chicken fried steak.

We cook game at least twice a week. It's what's for dinner!

I live in Michigan and am an avid hunter. Venison is not its best when over cooked. I agree with all of the posts that i would reverse sear it. Cook until 110 and then let it rest while you get the 700 up to max temp. Then put it on for 2 min turns (4 mins a side). 2 turn 2 turn flip 2 turn 2 turn.

Personally (and trust me i know the momma wants it well with ketchup thing) when i do it this way i often use bacon to add some moisture (also known as grease). Or, my common approach is to add banana peppers from a jar to the meat when served. This gives it kick and the peppers retain water from the jar.

Venison can be a little dry even at Medium. It is so lean (depending on the age and where you obtained it). The deer we harvest are farm fed and fairly lean (farm fed meaning they eat corn, soybeans, sugar beats from farm fields before they are taken during hunting seasons). If i go to medium well or well I must include something to give them some moisture or the same people in my house who say they want it well will say... "its dry".

One other note. If you have access to a gaser with higher temps (infrared cooker) or a charcoal that is my preferred method for reverse searing. Many on this site have that set up. I have a gaser and a Big Green Egg. I will light a little charcoal and two-three big chunks of oak. Get a roaring flame and use that for my sear. In that case the fire is closer to 800+ and i use 2 mins per side. 1 turn 1 turn flip 1 turn 1 turn. This puts more finish on the outside giving the impression of "well" while keeping the inside still under medium well.

Remember to let rest too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back