venison?????

DD owner

Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried a whole deer quarter before? What temp, recipe and how did it turn out??
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nope, never tried something that big. Venison is very lean, so not much fat to render down on a long cook. I've cooked venison steaks, chops with success following standard beef times and temps. Wild turkey sliced and wrapped in bacon turns out fantastic!

Nope, never tried something that big. Venison is very lean, so not much fat to render down on a long cook. I've cooked venison steaks, chops with success following standard beef times and temps. Wild turkey sliced and wrapped in bacon turns out fantastic!
thanks for the reply. Im going to try a whole front shoulder, ill post the results.

thanks for the reply. Im going to try a whole front shoulder, ill post the results.

Never on my Bull, but I've done a front shoulder on my trusty old Weber kettle.

I hate deer front shoulders. They are really a PITA to do anything with. SOOOOOOOO much silver skin and connective tissue. Even just making them into jerky takes a lot time for a little bit of meat.

So, I took a shoulder and coated it with olive oil and rubbed with SP&G. Smoked over low heat until IT was about 150.

I then put it in a large foil pan, poured in a couple cans of beer, added some chopped up onions and garlic, and covered it tightly.

I cooked it a few more hours until IT hit 200. Then I held there for another hour. Just make sure your pan NEVER goes dry. I think that last hour is really what renders out all the silver skin.

When it was done it shredded easily like a pork butt. The meat wasn't at all dry, was melt in your mouth tender, and had great flavor and there was no silver skin to be found.

I have started to braise those parts with high connective tissue. 8-10 hours in the Dutch oven at 250. Results are amazing!

I think a front shoulder would be fine. I would smoke it for an hour, then season well and wrap in foil to finish. Should come out nice and tender, falling off the bone.

I know I am about two months late to the thread but I smoked an entire deer "ham", bone out, over the summer.

We did brine this overnight before the next step. I believe it was just sugar and salt, just a random recipe I found online. With a larding needle I added a bunch of flavored butter (herb and garlic). Covered with olive oil to rest overnight again. We did this around 8-9 pm and started cooking at 5-6 am. When putting on the smoker, I laid a good amount of bacon over top of it to add some fat. Additional seasons were added to the outside, but I don't recall exactly what they were.

I did this ~6 pound deer ham, while smoking an 8 pound pork butt. Pork butt I smoked for 9 hours and the deer ham I put on for a total of 6 hours. I took the internal temp of the deer ham to 135 IIRC, running the smoker at 225 or 250.

For the front shoulder, look up episodes on MEAT EATER. He does ossobuco with the front shank, might have a few tips.

Well i did a whole rear bone in quarter a couple weeks ago and it wont be the last! You do have to trim the fat between the muscule groups but it made great sandwiches and i sliced several sandwich bags into snack size jerky pieces i took to work to snack on. Another great way to enjoy your venison and you Rec Teq.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back