Vacuum Sealers

Well I guess it could help, It sounds logical, keeping air out of your food to last longer. Never heard of anyone vac sealing food to stretch it out just a week in the fridge. If you do it and survive make sure to let us all know about it. :)

There are a couple of old vacuum sealer related threads out here, but none specific for what I'm looking for.

I have never used a vacuum sealer before, but see how the RT people here are always referring to it. There is such a huge range in price, size, etc.
Can anyone speak to a smaller, less expensive model that they would recommend?

See below link for one that gets great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B87SY6JW?tag=track-ect-usa-554612-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
I'm a food saver guy as well. It works very well for what I need.

Just finished doing extensive research on vacuum sealers.

How much you use the unit and the volume you process has a lot to do with the unit you purchase. As does the amount of time you store food in the freezer.

I have owned many and am tired of poor performance and short shelf life.

How much you use the unit and the volume you process has a lot to do with the unit you purchase. As does the amount of time you store food in the freezer.

So what do you have currently, and what is your reccomendation?

Please provide us with details of your research; we are very much interested. And, we’d welcome your recommendations based on it. Thanks. (y)

Since the thread is still going - I went and looked at what I've got:
1676060432035.png

Still going strong - hope to not replace it anytime soon.

FoodSaver from Costco here as well. They still offer them at about $100, including a small stock of bags.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything else. Yes, there are some cheaper ones (and some way more expensive ones too), but FoodSaver has been around for many years and they make a good product. My 20-year-old one is still working just fine.

I recently bought a new one (again, from Costco) for the new house but will probably hand it off to one of the grandkids after I get the old one moved to the new house.

Yup love my Foodsaver......works as advertised!!!

Haha - I was afraid of this.

Keep in mind these are my express opinions derived from my experiences - I know less than most and half as much as some!

I have had my share of Foodsavers Costco etc. Under regular use they dont last, are generally not rebuildable and the bags are very expensive (up to 20x more expensive which influences ROI). On top of that, if you are processing alot of food/meat they require a cooling period, so they are uncomfortably slow. Furthermore, performance of the low cost edge sealers is less than optimal with most only pulling a 20Hg vacuum. Optimal is 29.92 Hg.

After purchasing a LEM MaxVac1000 (edge sealer), I realized even the higher end (non commercial) edge sealers were problematic. I have run 40 bags through the LEM unit.

The chamber Vacuums are for sure the way to go if you use your sealer regularly. The bags are less than .10 cents a piece and most draw a 29Hg vacuum. They are made with dry pumps as well as wet rotary pumps. The wet pumps do not require cooling under prolonged use. These type units are rebuildable as well. They draw an ambient vacuum in the chamber which virtually pulls all of the air out of the bag and the chamber. This ads longevity in the freezer mitigating freezer burn and flavor degradation. Another benefit is you have the same results when sealing liquids or cans/jars in the chamber.

The cons are the chamber vacs are larger, heavier and more expensive (I believe the cost differential is offset over time by bag cost).

With that said, spend more now and you will save in the long run. I purchased the Vacmaster VP230. It should outlast me as well as take on any project I can throw at it.

If anyone is interested in the LEM unit I have (basically new in the box), I will sell it for $400 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Well I guess it could help, It sounds logical, keeping air out of your food to last longer. Never heard of anyone vac sealing food to stretch it out just a week in the fridge. If you do it and survive make sure to let us all know about it. :)
It works! Most of the troublesome microbes that are found in meat are obligate aerobes (they require oxygen), so you can truly buy some fridge time, if that’s what you’re after. As for how much time you can buy, that depends on fridge temperature, sanitary practices, and how quickly the meat cooled after it was cooked.

I appreciate @NBK sharing his thoughts on vacuum sealers. I can see the appeal of a high-end commercial unit if you are doing extensive quantities of food, or are doing it for resale. Now, in my case, I probably vac-seal a half-dozen meals a month, so investing $1200 in a unit of that type wouldn't make much sense (though it sure would give me bragging rights 🤣).

I have used the low-end Foodsaver units for 20+ years and have never had a seal failure. Now, my vac-sealed meals are usually consumed within a month or two, so I don't have any real, long-term storage experience. And, I usually double-seal the bags manually, but the extra 30 seconds to do that doesn't cost me much at the volume I need to do it.

As for the cost of bags, at the volume I vac-seal things, one multi-roll package of Foodsaver brand bags from Costco (about $45) probably lasts me a couple of years. By my calculations, the per-bag cost of using Foodsaver bags from Costco runs about $0.25 (depending on the size used). I've never researched the cost of other bags, but even if they are very substantially less that the Foodsaver bags, the savings to me wouldn't be very substantial at my usage level. Now, if I was doing large quantities, that would not be the case.

My point here is that there's no right answer for everyone. If you are doing a large amount of vac-sealing, it may well be worth it to consider one of the recommended commercial units. For others, like myself, who are doing much smaller quantities, the less-expensive, but long proven, Foodsaver or similar units should suffice nicely. I think it would be wise to match the product selection to the job at hand in order to get the maximum ROI. YMMV

Last edited:
I appreciate @NBK sharing his thoughts on vacuum sealers. I can see the appeal of a high-end commercial unit if you are doing extensive quantities of food, or are doing it for resale. Now, in my case, I probably vac-seal a half-dozen meals a month, so investing $1200 in a unit of that type wouldn't make much sense (though it sure would give me bragging rights 🤣).

I have used the low-end Foodsaver units for 20+ years and have never had a seal failure. Now, my vac-sealed meals are usually consumed within a month or two, so I don't have any real, long-term storage experience. And, I usually double-seal the bags manually, but the extra 30 seconds to do that doesn't cost me much at the volume I need to do it.

As for the cost of bags, at the volume I vac-seal things, one multi-roll package of Foodsaver brand bags from Costco (about $45) probably lasts me a couple of years. By my calculations, the per-bag cost of bags from Costco runs about $0.25 each (depending on the size you use). I've never never researched the cost of other bags, but even if they are very substantially less that the Costco bags, the savings to me wouldn't be very substantial at my usage level. Now, if I was doing large quantities, that would not be the case.

My point here is that there's no right answer for everyone. If you are doing a large amount of vac-sealing, it may well be worth it to consider one of the recommended commercial units. For others, like myself, who are doing much smaller quantities, the less-expensive, but long proven, Foodsaver or similar units should suffice nicely. I think it would be wise to match the product selection to the job at hand in order to get the

Well said...

It works! Most of the troublesome microbes that are found in meat are obligate aerobes (they require oxygen), so you can truly buy some fridge time, if that’s what you’re after. As for how much time you can buy, that depends on fridge temperature, sanitary practices, and how quickly the meat cooled after it was cooked.
Spoken like a true player 🤣

Just go to Costco and buy the Food Saver. I have been using them for years and they work very well. Process half a dozen deer a year and a lot of beef. Meat keeps very well and have eaten venison that got forgotten and was 3 years old. Not even a problem and super tender with the slow aging.

I have the Avid Armor. USV32. The oil pump machines weren’t available at the time. it isn’t heavy and doesn’t look bulky. I don’t know if I would need the oil pump machine. I think it is more for heavy duty use. I use mine about once a week. you can get the bags from their site or find cheaper sources.

it is a lot better than those external suction sealers that need the special type bags that are embossed.

There are a couple of old vacuum sealer related threads out here, but none specific for what I'm looking for.

I have never used a vacuum sealer before, but see how the RT people here are always referring to it. There is such a huge range in price, size, etc.
Can anyone speak to a smaller, less expensive model that they would recommend?

See below link for one that gets great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B87SY6JW?tag=track-ect-usa-554612-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
We bought the model that you sent a link for and returned it. It was unwieldy as you had to press on both sides to lock it in position. We replaced it with a Food Saver that was a bit more expensive ($100) and a little larger but much easier to use.

Late to the Party, but here's my $0.02
Yeah, like most, we use the Costco sold Foodsaver unit too
I like the built-in Roll Holder and Cutter our model has
Wish it was a "Double Seal" though, but I can double seal it myself ;)
Do not buy their Box of extra FS Bags from them without checking to see what you're getting
They keep f'ing with what comes in the Box
Last time it was a few Rolls (some small, some large), but a pill of pre-cut Bags we "may" never use :(
We get our Bag Rolls of FS brand Bags at WalMart (y)

Cabela's / Base-Pro / Sportsman's Wearhouse sell a few different (Cabela brand) units
I've heard they're are pretty good too
Academy pushes the LEM brand .... I've bought used Cars for less !

Go with a FoodSaver at Samsclub! We have had ours for 10 years and still work great and we use it a lot!
We buy bags on Amazon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back