Vac sealing newb question

They also sell the Annova double sealer.
annova.jpg

Okay, @JGW, you may have converted me. My FoodSaver is getting decrepit, and I’m looking at replacements. But I was also wasn’t willing to give up my canisters or my mason jar attachment, so I hadn’t really considered the Nesco. But it turns out that not only has the Nesco VS-12 been one of the highest rated sealers on the market, but it supposedly can work with the FoodSaver attachments? Do you have any experience doing this, by any chance?
I haven't used the auxiliary port, but it's just a hose, and seems to be about the same size, if not the exact same size.

I've never had a FoodSaver last more than a couple of years before dying, so after the last one died I grabbed the NESCO. Zero regrets for the last couple of years.

I see a lot of 1-2 reviews on Amazon, so not sure if they changed something. I've had mine about 4-5 years I guess. Still works great.

Last edited:
Weston is very reputable. Brother has and really likes it. I opted for the Vacmaster 360. Basically a commercial unit. Has the extra wide seal. Approx. $300. 15" wide bags

Edit: I didn't care for the extra attachment for bag roll on back of Weston

I cooked a Beef Tenderloin 2 weeks ago, froze it then heated it up Sous Vide Easter weekend and it was awesome. Just give you lots of options.
I have found that vacuum sealing and reheating in the bag in boiling water (guess that is sous vide) improves the flavor.

I like the idea of vac seal and have the food master but if there is any liquid whatsoever, it does not seal. I also have to press on lid for it to vacuum. Looking for something more liquid friendly.

I like the idea of vac seal and have the food master but if there is any liquid whatsoever, it does not seal. I also have to press on lid for it to vacuum. Looking for something more liquid friendly.

I have no issues with liquids being present and sealing, but yes you do need to be a bit more creative sometimes in getting the vac/seal to work right or to use different size bags.

I bought a chamber sealer from Avid Armor. It is compact and easy to use. I can use rolls or pouches. Don’t need the expensive rolls that the external sealwe require. Bags are very cheap. Can also reseal jars than contain semi liquids. They don’t weight as much as the chamber sealer that Costco sells and takes up a small foot print. Easy to move if required. I bought the USV32. Shortly after they came out with the UXVS. That looks very nice

https://avidarmor.com/

Last edited:
I would recommend the FoodSaver 5200 model or one similar in design. I seal multiple items each week and have had one like this since 2017 that has been great. It is the best design for easy use and functions. I would also search eBay for the best prices and also for the 11" x 50' rolls that are 4mm thick.

You can find a lot of reviews on vacuum sealers.....Good house Keeping, Taste of Home, Food Network etc. The Weston and the Nesco are the two models that appear on almost every list.

I personally don't recommend Food Saver units, but I have never had one last that long. Their bags are fine.

I bought a chamber sealer from Avid Armor. It is compact and easy to use. I can use rolls or pouches. Don’t need the expensive rolls that the external sealwe require. Bags are very cheap. Can also reseal jars than contain semi liquids. They don’t weight as much as the chamber sealer that Costco sells and takes up a small foot print. Easy to move if required. I bought the USV32. Shortly after they came out with the UXVS. That looks very nice

https://avidarmor.com/
I’m considering the Avid Armor A420 myself, but I have space constraints that rule out the chamber sealers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back