Using a smoke tube.

Freedom Forged

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I have an issue using my smoke tube. Each time I use it I make sure it is burning well. But, after I put it in my 680 it shortly goes out.
???? Pellets are fresh and dry. Lack of oxygen?? Anyone else experience this?
David

I have an issue using my smoke tube. Each time I use it I make sure it is burning well. But, after I put it in my 680 it shortly goes out.
David
How long are you letting it burn before you blow it out and put it in the grill?

Make sure you're using a good hot torch to light and not just a simple charcoal lighter. Once I have a flame on the end I use the torch to slightly char about 1- 1.5 inches beyond the flame to give those pellets a head start. Try to make sure the flame dies on its own if possible.

I use a mapp torch to light pellets so they glow red/orange. Also, if you didn't lavalock your lid, maybe there's a gap for better airflow you can put the tube next to? Are they packed well? I've had them die off when they're not tightly packed for the burn to make the jump from pellet to pellet.

All of this makes sense. Thanks fella's.
I have used my tubes several times. If it’s a big piece of meat, I may use 2. (Brisket or a big shoulder) I use a plumbers torch as well to get them going. A candle lighter doesn’t introduce enough BTU’s to make them free burn until you blow them out. I let them burn for 10min‘ish. I place them opposite of the temp probe, as to not throw off the grill temp. I use lumberjack pellets and they are always dry as a sponge. I usually get 3.5-4hrs out of a tube. this is my own observations. These guys on this forum are a great resource.

When I use a smoke tube, it is with a combination of pellets and chunks of hardwood. I alternate some pellets, then chunks of hardwood, more pellets, more hardwood, etc. until the tube is full. I think the combination both produces more smoke and keeps the contents smoldering better.

I’m fortunate to have apple, cherry and peach trees on my property, so save the larger prunings for use in the smoke tube.

I use smoke tubes periodically. As stated above, do not put it near any thermometers, thermocouples, or sensors as it may render them inaccurate. The RT680 is pretty sealed up and doesn’t allow a lot of additional air flow. My RT700 has a similar design and putting the tube near the chimney allows for better air flow at the compromise of your smoke going ”right out the chimney”. My recommendation is to place the tube parallel to the length of the smoker with the burning end at the farthest point from the chimney. That will allow the pellets to burn “left to right” towards the chimney improving their efficiency. Another tip is to shake the tube once in a while to keep the burning pellets in contact with the unburned pellets and don’t overload the tube as it needs a little bit of air to keep it burning evenly. On a gasser, you don’t have that problem since you usually put the tube on a burner that is lit and on low during the cooks. Just my thoughts, good luck.

Just going to throw in my 2 cents but all good responses. I do something similar to what Jim does above but I use wood chips. I also use the charcoal pellets by royal oak. I only use them for the smoke tube. I like to let the tube go for 15 to 30 minutes OR if the pellets have burned down maybe an inch or so. I do usually re-lite mine multiple times as the flame goes out but the tube still smokes but just not a flame coming out. Then I use a balled up foil ball and prop up the tube slightly and put in the back left corner(not over the drip tray) so it gets lots of airflow. Sometimes it does go out but I'll just take my flame and light a little more and get a flame and then blow out and close the lid.

The mixture of the pellets and wood chips works really good and creates a lot more smoke flavor than just pellets alone. It goes burn out slightly faster but it is worth it. Usually lasts around 3 to 4 hours.

The key is always getting some white hot pellets at the top so they continue to burn and putting in the back where there is more airflow. That's how I do it, good luck!

I do the same as @Jim6820, chopping pieces of wood chunks larger than the bagged chips and packing with pellets. I have a variety of the 2x2 wood chunks that I break down with a hatchet into pieces that barely fit in the tube and fill all voids with pellets. I actually tamp it a bit on the ground to get everything snug.

I torch the top inch or two until the smoke tube is glowing red and I have a good solid burn for about 10 minutes. I light the smoke tube right when I fire up the grill and timing is just about perfect to start the smoke/cook.

1655845489523.png

1655845508683.png

1655845522528.png

@Pacman - is your smoke tube bigger than normal ones? Do you get a lot more time compared to a normal sized one?

Mine is the A-Maze-N 12 - 18 inch expandable one. I have to admit, I've never expanded it all the way, but packing with wood chunks and pellets seems to give me at least 4 to 5 hours of smoke. I'm not 100% sure as most of my long cooks are done overnight and by the time I check, all that is left is a little bit of ash.

@Pacman - is your smoke tube bigger than normal ones? Do you get a lot more time compared to a normal sized one?
At approximately the 4th hour of a slow cook, the meat has taken on about as much smoke flavor as is detectable. There might (I don’t know-I haven’t tested this theory) be an advantage to using two smoke tubes at the same time, but adding more time beyond the first 4 hours adds little or nothing to the smoke flavor.

I've never used a smoke tube, so take this for what it's worth. I read somewhere (here, I think) where someone was having this exact problem. He made a "donut" out of tin foil and wrapped it around one end of the smoke tube, creating an incline/angle that the smoke tube would sit at. He then lit the other end with a plumbers torch. He said it worked fine and solved the problem.

I do the same as @Jim6820, chopping pieces of wood chunks larger than the bagged chips and packing with pellets. I have a variety of the 2x2 wood chunks that I break down with a hatchet into pieces that barely fit in the tube and fill all voids with pellets. I actually tamp it a bit on the ground to get everything snug.

I torch the top inch or two until the smoke tube is glowing red and I have a good solid burn for about 10 minutes. I light the smoke tube right when I fire up the grill and timing is just about perfect to start the smoke/cook.

View attachment 16422
View attachment 16423
View attachment 16424
I have messed around with the chips not chunks of natural wood. Do they ignite fairly well when mixed in with the pellets or do you keep minding the tube while it’s burning? Thanks is advance

I really pack the wood chunks in pretty tight with pellets to make sure there are no voids. Just tapping the smoke tube on the ground periodically while filling does the trick. As long as there's some decent continuity of burning stuff, after the original torching everything just smokes away. I had a flame/burn out once, but saw that I didn't pay attention and created an air pocket.

I've been using the 2" x 2" chunks and knocking them down into quarters (give or take) with a hatchet.

David
Directing
I really pack the wood chunks in pretty tight with pellets to make sure there are no voids. Just tapping the smoke tube on the ground periodically while filling does the trick. As long as there's some decent continuity of burning stuff, after the original torching everything just smokes away. I had a flame/burn out once, but saw that I didn't pay attention and created an air pocket.

I've been using the 2" x 2" chunks and knocking them down into quarters (give or take) with a hatchet.
Spending what you spend on the rt-700, why waste money on a smoke tube? You should have gotten a real smoker for less

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back