Used Mesquite or Oak?

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Had my 1st opportunity to have ribs from a smoke pit restaurant since I got the RT at the start of the pandemic, so much more smoke flavor. A peek out back showed they use a mix of oak and cherry logs with a bit of mesquite chunks.

I don't expect to get as much smoke flavor with a pellet smoker but I'm wondering if I'd do better with straight oak or mesquite, I've never tried, or seen, either. I use blends or fruit flavor mixes, but will try to find one or both when I get home next month.

If anyone has tried one or the other I'd be interested in your opinion.

Im a new owner too. Hy first two briskets and pork shoulder were with pure Mesquite. I figured the full flavor would be good because I was told pellet smokers don't give as much flavor as offsets. I can say I'm happy with the results; in fact it might be too much smoke flavor! I used the lowest temp setting for the first couple hours, bumped up the temp and wrapped in butcher paper for the last half. Great smoke penetration and flavor!

Had my 1st opportunity to have ribs from a smoke pit restaurant since I got the RT at the start of the pandemic, so much more smoke flavor. A peek out back showed they use a mix of oak and cherry logs with a bit of mesquite chunks.

I don't expect to get as much smoke flavor with a pellet smoker but I'm wondering if I'd do better with straight oak or mesquite, I've never tried, or seen, either. I use blends or fruit flavor mixes, but will try to find one or both when I get home next month.

If anyone has tried one or the other I'd be interested in your opinion.

Mesquite is one of the strongest smoke flavors, IMO. It has a sharp, spicy flavor and can taste bitter if over smoked. I like it on beef and a little on some venison.

For pork ribs or butts, I like a mild smoke from a fruit wood. Cherry is my favorite.

You can add more intensity of smoke by using a smoke tube.

I smoke beef with mesquite. Anything pork, I use hickory, cherry or a mix. I really like the mix. Wood chips in a smoker box will give a nice boost also. One other item, mojo bricks.

I like Oak for beef. Pecan or hickory for everything.

Mesquite is better for just grilling, IMHO. Great with grilled chicken, fajitas, etc.

Most times I use an oak/hickory or oak/pecan blend.

If I use my stick burner, it's straight oak.

To the OP's question, I use straight mesquite pellets from Lumberjack occasionally. But mostly I have been mixing in about 1/3rd oak pellets to stabilize the burning temperature and also use up the many bags of oak (RecTec Ultimate Blend) I have.

Smoke flavor is so subjective. Some people prefer very strong smoke flavor and some think it's repulsive at high levels.

I think the pellet grills control the burn to a perfect blue smoke that competition pitmasters strive for. This produces the mild tasting smoke instead of the bitter smoke. A stickburner or charcoal/wood fired smoker often emit some bitter smoke when wood is added to the fire. I've used a smoke tube in the Bull and it more replicates the smoke from a stickburner. But sometimes less is more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back