Used 340 advice

gpclipper

Recently sold my Big Green Egg and been looking at the Bullseye and 340. Just need something for my wife and I have have been using a very old Ducane gas grill. Well, a 1.5-2 year old 340 showed up for sale locally and I thought it was worth looking at. Anything I should be looking at, besides the obvious use and condition? Not sure what has changed over the past two years with Reqteq. What would be a reasonable price to expect?

All advice is appreciated. I have a Costco Traeger Silverton at my cabin, but after some research I decided to go with Recteq. Also considered selling the Traeger and doing a 340 for $399 if you buy a larger grill. Just not sure I want to go that route though.

So, I have 5 recteqs (see my profile info) and for nearly 20 years I had a BGE. I am primarily a family of two now, as are you, and I find the 340 and the Bullseye almost perfect for my daily needs for us. There are some cooks, like a full packer brisket, where I ‘need’ the space of the RT-700, but the 380/Bullseye combo you are proposing is an excellent choice.

I went ahead and purchased the used 340. Bit dirty but appears to be in overall good shape. Purchased for $300 including cover. I do have to replace the meat probe, but that doesn’t seem to be a huge deal. Can’t wait to try it out.

I went ahead and purchased the used 340. Bit dirty but appears to be in overall good shape. Purchased for $300 including cover. I do have to replace the meat probe, but that doesn’t seem to be a huge deal. Can’t wait to try it out.
A little elbow grease will have it looking good. And, as for the probe replacement, there are more options than just a RT replacement part. Do a web search for “replacement Recteq probes” And you’ll find several options.

This is the one I like…

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Tem...2&sprefix=Replacement+Recteq+,aps,153&sr=8-14

…since it has strain relief and a longer cable.

Last edited:
Coincidence. I got a 340 for 280 including a cover. Z3 years old perfect condition. Works great. Only thing was the previous owner used it a lot and didn’t clean it. I had to scrape out layers of carbon. And used my elbow grease. Managed to clean it pretty well. Now it works super great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back