Updated WiFi controller from RecTeq?

Mike,
I would think AWS has the resources to advise a customer of a bottleneck and possibly sell upgraded services?

Mike,
I would think AWS has the resources to advise a customer of a bottleneck and possibly sell upgraded services?

Resources... yeah probably. But do they? No. AWS simply provides a service (or large number of services) how you use them is really up to the customer.

I work in AWS daily. I could create a new EC2 instance and hammer the tar out of it and not once will AWS suggest upgrading resources.

I find it a bit... odd... that you chose that small and relatively inconsequential tidbit to extract for further magnification and discussion.
I guess no different than you randomly making up their AWS usage. I guess I just have a knack for picking out the BS parts. ;)

Resources... yeah probably. But do they? No. AWS simply provides a service (or large number of services) how you use them is really up to the customer.

I work in AWS daily. I could create a new EC2 instance and hammer the tar out of it and not once will AWS suggest upgrading resources.

I guess no different than you randomly making up their AWS usage. I guess I just have a knack for picking out the BS parts. ;)
Mike,
Thanks for the info.

So MIke, if I am hearing you right, what your saying is RT needs to invest more in AWS. :p
Sure if that's what they use.

I was only trying to have a reasonable discussion about why this shouldn't happen... only to find out that the AWS comment was randomly pulled out of the blue and had no basis in truth.

Unlike some, I will tell you up front I don't know the inner workings of the RecTeq alerts and won't make up stuff to prove a point - BUT if they really did use AWS then this really "shouldn't" be an issue.

I think Mike is saying they (RT) needs to hire him as their IT consultant (y) J/K

Where do I send my resume to? :D ;)

Is this really a game changer? My spikes are usually only about 10-15º, it seems no different than adding another log on the old stick burner. Not a real big deal at all.
Definitely never had a 75 degree jump like that video. 10 is normal for me and stabilizes quickly. Temp tamer approach is not something I need. Also, for brisket and shoulder 10 degrees doesn’t mean a thing.

Is this really a game changer? My spikes are usually only about 10-15º, it seems no different than adding another log on the old stick burner. Not a real big deal at all.
The spikes I see are around 10-15 also, so it is really a non-issue. I don't see any advantage to this, certainly not a game changer.

Seems like it might be another feature to break. I like the simplicity of the 590 no gimmicks to screw things up. Besides my grill evens out very quickly after opening the lid. I don't think those brief spikes ruin my cooks

Why is it that no one from Rec Tec ever pops in this Forum to answer questions???
It’s not an official recteq forum. They have their Facebook groups for every product they sell. They know this forum exists, but they have chosen to only participate on their ‘official’ channels.

Of course they did. The holiday weekend when everyone wanted to use their fancy smoker and actually needed their alerts to work has ended. RecTeq's minimal AWS resource monthly investment is once again sufficient to handle the amount of traffic a typical Wednesday generates.

They don't do anything to plan for and prevent the outages during holidays even though they know it's going to happen now. This is a critical aspect of the WiFi functionality they sold me that they think I don't need access to when I most need it. Not planning for such things is a plan for failure as we usher in younger and younger consumers who expect a certain level of functionality in ALL of their devices.

Telling me during a holiday outage that they are aware of the situation and are going to fix it only to have it happen during the next holiday period is no longer something they didn't anticipate but a willful choice to save money over delivering a product they sold and already profited on.

They think they're a smoker company and their smokers work fine w/o WiFi should it go down and their sense of urgency (or complete lack thereof) surrounding this feature reflects that. If they think it's not a big deal they should really have been at my Easter dinner with us all grouped around dry and leathery ham and me explaining how my new RecTeq that I've bragged on for months now failed to do something as simple as let me know when the two meat probes hit 140 degrees.

You can be they won't be buying one now which is a stark difference from the few I sold the previous months to friends when I sung their praises before this little holiday snafu that has become commonplace now seemingly. They may also mention it to other similar-minded buddies who are considering buying a new smoker. I know that I can no longer recommend their products in good conscience.

RecTeq claims to be so solid of an organization for the customer but when they let something as basic as this slide.... not sure I can support that claim any longer.
The added cloud space will come at a premium cost. That will likely turn in to a premium service. I’m not sure Recteq wants to get involved in charging a monthly subscription, for WiFi functionality. I get frustrated when the WiFi doesn’t work, and it seems to happen fairly regularly. But that’s just a reminder to keep an eye on it.

The added cloud space will come at a premium cost. That will likely turn in to a premium service. I’m not sure Recteq wants to get involved in charging a monthly subscription, for WiFi functionality. I get frustrated when the WiFi doesn’t work, and it seems to happen fairly regularly. But that’s just a reminder to keep an eye on it.
No, that's the functionality they sold me. The details of how they keep it working aren't of concern to me and I'm NOT paying a monthly service fee for functionality they sold me when I bought the unit. Not sure why you're making assumptions about what they "have" to do to make these work as promised.

They (recteq) already have servers that are supposed to do what @Ostrichsak and many others are frustrated about because they are not working. It’s not like making this reliably functional will take added cloud space. I no longer use the recteq probes to monitor my cooks, my ThermoWorks products are 100% reliable, includes a very nice app, does store the entire cook history (which recteq does not) to my free ThermoWorks cloud account, and the customer can get all this functionality for as little as a $69 investment in a BlueDOT.

I just ordered a Bull last week, haven't received it yet of course, but all this talk about lack of alerts is stating to tarnish my "Anticipated Shine" that I am expecting. Glad I already have a wireless system, which was a must for the Traeger I am replacing. That POS had temp spikes that were out of this world and it didn't have anything to do with opening the lid. I'm sure they could be stopped by replacing the controller and/or temp probe, but I was wanting a larger grill anyway and couldn't see spending the money and time to "maybe" fix the problem.

I just ordered a Bull last week, haven't received it yet of course, but all this talk about lack of alerts is stating to tarnish my "Anticipated Shine" that I am expecting. Glad I already have a wireless system, which was a must for the Traeger I am replacing. That POS had temp spikes that were out of this world and it didn't have anything to do with opening the lid. I'm sure they could be stopped by replacing the controller and/or temp probe, but I was wanting a larger grill anyway and couldn't see spending the money and time to "maybe" fix the problem.
The problem isn't the hardware of the controller it's the communication between their servers and the controller. It's a software issue that they could fix if it was an urgent matter to them. They haven't fixed it yet so that should tell you where their urgency is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back