Updated WiFi controller from RecTeq?

wigglemans

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
With the new grilla grills updated alpha connect controller do you think reqtec will come out with a similar feature like grilla grills temp tamer

With the new grilla grills updated alpha connect controller do you think reqtec will come out with a similar feature like grilla grills temp tamer
I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe RecTeq bases their controller on what Grilla is or isn't doing.

That said I haven't heard of any news from recteq or anyone else stating a new controller is coming out soon. Then again recteqforum isn't affiliated with recteq so it's not like they get my approval for anything anyways. :D ;)

I'd say reach out to recteq and see if they will share anything with you about any new controllers coming out soon.

Is this really a game changer? My spikes are usually only about 10-15º, it seems no different than adding another log on the old stick burner. Not a real big deal at all.
I was more impressed with the way they did it. I thought a door switch would be necessary but obviously not.

Is this really a game changer? My spikes are usually only about 10-15º, it seems no different than adding another log on the old stick burner. Not a real big deal at all.
If I’m flipping chicken wings, basting ribs, spritzing a pork butt, I see temp spikes way above 10-15* when I close the lid. Additionally, on the Bullseye there are times I want to use It like a charcoal grill with the lid open at a set temp without going into riot mode to compensate. So yes, it it works as advertised, it would be a game changer for me.

If I’m flipping chicken wings, basting ribs, spritzing a pork butt, I see temp spikes way above 10-15* when I close the lid. Additionally, on the Bullseye there are times I want to use It like a charcoal grill with the lid open at a set temp without going into riot mode to compensate. So yes, it it works as advertised, it would be a game changer for me.
Not totally familiar with the bullseye but even so, the temp tamer pauses the auger and does not add pellets. It seems to basically re-check the temp once the lid closes and the timer expires then add pellets slowly to get up to temp again without overshooting it. Need to see the logic in the program to make a better assessment of how it works. Those of you with more experience with pellet poopers can probably see the need.

Not totally familiar with the bullseye but even so, the temp tamer pauses the auger and does not add pellets.
Watching the video, that’s not how I interpreted the temp tamer to work. What I took from the video is that it locks the current auger feed rate and doesn’t increase the feed rate to compensate for the drop in temp recorded by the RFD probe because the lid is open. Discussed in the video at the 55 second mark.

Seems pretty cool.. can't say I would not appreciate it but I don't have experience with Grilla to say how the normal operation is to compare with RecTeq in general. Guess we'll see if RecTeq eventually applies similar features. I assume they will have to make enhancements over time to maintain their market share.

@Newb -- I alerts worked yesterday.
Of course they did. The holiday weekend when everyone wanted to use their fancy smoker and actually needed their alerts to work has ended. RecTeq's minimal AWS resource monthly investment is once again sufficient to handle the amount of traffic a typical Wednesday generates.

They don't do anything to plan for and prevent the outages during holidays even though they know it's going to happen now. This is a critical aspect of the WiFi functionality they sold me that they think I don't need access to when I most need it. Not planning for such things is a plan for failure as we usher in younger and younger consumers who expect a certain level of functionality in ALL of their devices.

Telling me during a holiday outage that they are aware of the situation and are going to fix it only to have it happen during the next holiday period is no longer something they didn't anticipate but a willful choice to save money over delivering a product they sold and already profited on.

They think they're a smoker company and their smokers work fine w/o WiFi should it go down and their sense of urgency (or complete lack thereof) surrounding this feature reflects that. If they think it's not a big deal they should really have been at my Easter dinner with us all grouped around dry and leathery ham and me explaining how my new RecTeq that I've bragged on for months now failed to do something as simple as let me know when the two meat probes hit 140 degrees.

You can be they won't be buying one now which is a stark difference from the few I sold the previous months to friends when I sung their praises before this little holiday snafu that has become commonplace now seemingly. They may also mention it to other similar-minded buddies who are considering buying a new smoker. I know that I can no longer recommend their products in good conscience.

RecTeq claims to be so solid of an organization for the customer but when they let something as basic as this slide.... not sure I can support that claim any longer.

RecTeq's minimal AWS resource monthly investment is once again sufficient to handle the amount of traffic a typical Wednesday generates.
If this is the case I'd like to know what issues they are running into. I work within AWS all the time and AWS scales very nicely and even during extremely busy times it would be easy to scale up and then scale back down... all of this could be done automatically without any intervention.

If this is the case I'd like to know what issues they are running into. I work within AWS all the time and AWS scales very nicely and even during extremely busy times it would be easy to scale up and then scale back down... all of this could be done automatically without any intervention.
I have no evidence that they even use AWS specifically but I took a guess. You say it scales but there are different options within that moving scale and delays or even outright outages can occur when traffic is high.

Removing assumptions I made to avoid diluting the topic I will say that their current solution, whatever that may be, doesn't work. The results speak for themselves.

I find it a bit... odd... that you chose that small and relatively inconsequential tidbit to extract for further magnification and discussion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back