Trailblazer Updated controller?

The_Bishop

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Anyone know if there's an updated controller available from recteq? My grill is about 2 1/2 years old. The wifi issues I'm having are making the grill essentially useless to me, I have another larger pellet grill that doesn't have wifi connectivity that does some things better than the recteq does.

The whole idea was to have a wifi connected grill that I could monitor remotely, but it's not working and to date the only way I can get it running online is to use an old wifi router that cripples the rest of my home network.

Really, really unimpressed with the support I've gotten from recteq so far.

Anyone know if there's an updated controller available from recteq? My grill is about 2 1/2 years old. The wifi issues I'm having are making the grill essentially useless to me, I have another larger pellet grill that doesn't have wifi connectivity that does some things better than the recteq does.

The whole idea was to have a wifi connected grill that I could monitor remotely, but it's not working and to date the only way I can get it running online is to use an old wifi router that cripples the rest of my home network.

Yes there is an upgrade. The recent models have both 2.4 and 5 Gig wifi. Since I received by 1070 with this tuner, I have not had wifi problems. You might inquire if they have an upgrade for you.

I'll have to call about it, because even with the old router it still will not stay online.
The frustration level is getting pretty high with this grill.

Your router may be blocked by distance, large appliances in between, signal strength (or lack thereof). Have you checked the signal strength at your pit? Where is the router in reference to your pit? I also think that they may be able to upgrade your control thru the app. Not sure of that.

Your router may be blocked by distance, large appliances in between, signal strength (or lack thereof). Have you checked the signal strength at your pit? Where is the router in reference to your pit? I also think that they may be able to upgrade your control thru the app. Not sure of that.
The router is less than 20 feet from the grill and the signal strength is fine. Everything used to work perfectly until some time about a month ago, been trying to track down why ever since. Being as it still won't stay online with a different router despite initially connecting, I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with the controller.

I may be off base with my response but is there any possibility that you have the router set to auto-seek/auto-set the channel? If so, did you have a recent power event that would have cause a restart of your router? Also, if you have neighbors within 100 yards, any changes to their equipment. I work with my neighbors because I have Ubiquiti equipment and can hit a usable range of ~5000ft. It drives my neighbors crazy when I make adjustments so we work to pre-assign channels that don’t create problems (my grilling station is in the back yard with several AP zones on my property. (I live in SoCal so we don’t have lots over 10,000sqft in my development). There are a number of apps that allow you to take a survey of traffic in your area. Whenever possible, try to use channels 1-8. They seem to be more stable than others. Just trying to help, don’t hate me if it does‘t work. Lol.
The router is less than 20 feet from the grill and the signal strength is fine. Everything used to work perfectly until some time about a month ago, been trying to track down why ever since. Being as it still won't stay online with a different router despite initially connecting, I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with the controller.

If you replace the controller. Ill buy your old one. PM me.

Don’t think my problem about a month ago is the same but here goes.
I started a smoke, all was good until I lost contact with the unit from the app. Then I realized I was some how logged out. Checked app history and they had recently updated the app. I attempted to log in without success. I then remembered I had regrouped my 2.4 and 5g into my singular SSID. A quick split back to 2.4 only and I was able to reconnect. I have not regrouped 2.4/5g but plan to do that today and smoke some BB’s. Just thinking maybe something like the 2.4/5g could be the issue? Maybe the app update did some seemless magic 🙄?

Edit: I have not had any more issues after regrouping my 2.4/5G so that was my fix. Note your phone or mobile device must be on the same bandwidth and SSID.

Last edited:

Ditto on RecTec support. Horrible at best.

I posted a wifi problem in the 340 wifi thread. There is an updated controller but it did not fix the issue for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back