Ultimate Crispy Wings

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I finally cooked some wings today. I used the recipe from Meat Church for the Japanese style wings. Wings from WFF. So I cooked on the Bullseye without the grill grates.
I set it to 275 and it has never been so stable, I am wondering now if the GG are causing fluctuation. Anyway, cooked for 45 minutes at 275 first pick, temped at about 180-185, but wanted to make sure the skin was crispy so I cranked it up to 450. A mere three minutes later an enormous amount of smoke was bellowing from the Bullseye, sure enough a fire.
So the wings are super crispy.
I would definitely do this again, just not crank up to 450, I think I could have cooked a little longer at 275 and been fine.

ALSO, I rarely cook without my GG, does anyone put anything on the Bullseye to prevent this or is it just the nature of the beast?

Attachments

• Wing1.jpeg
    Wing1.jpeg
    685.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    938.7 KB · Views: 117
I like to use whole wings with the base well trimmed. Without any holes in the skin, all the juices stay in the wing. I only cooked 8 pounds of wings last weekend. I have another 10 wings for today

I pat them dry and coat them with baking powder and then a dry rub or two. This is Jody's Asian Persuasion with Bachan's GF BBQ sauce as a dip. I love the Bachan's GF Japanese BBQ sauce. At almost $10 a bottle it is too pricey to use as a marinade.

I cook @ 250 until 170ish then 400 until they look appealing. The internal cooked wing is usually around 200f. I got distracted at the end of this cook on Saturday and burnt the tips.

I've only had my bullseye for a couple weeks but I've been grilling and frying for 40 years. I'll be doing another 10 wings and some porkchops today.

I haven't had a flare up but my second start was a hard start that bumped the lid open about 4 inches with a bang.

I've been running riot @ 749f for about 10 minutes at the end of every day's cook. I have used it every day since it was assembled and have not had a grease fire.

I put an aluminum lasagna pan under these two 28+ oz ribeyes while i was smoking on Friday but they didn't need it. I did the reverse sear with my grill grates.

Attachments

• smokedwings.jpg
    smokedwings.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • smokedribeyes.jpg
    smokedribeyes.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back