Two Weird Issues

SmokeyJoe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey everyone,

I just got a 590 and I'm having two strange issues. The first is that the grill struggles to get past 500 degrees. This morning it was set at 500 and just sat at 495 for like 20 minutes. When I set it to full, it barely gets to 515. It seems weird compared to what I've read about others experience with this, as well as my experience with the 340.

The other issue is that the grill struggles to maintain temps sporadically. It'll either overshoot by a wide margin (e.g. set at 275 and it'll jump to 350) or it'll undershoot once it hits it's target temp (e.g. set to 275 and drops to 250). Restarting the grill seems to temporarily fix the issue, but I'm just not sure what could be causing it. It's about 70 degrees here in SC and the grill is under a covered patio. I've adjusted the feed rate from 6.5 to 3.5 and that seemed to help the overshooting, but dropping it to 3.0 caused a ton of smoking from the hopper. This is all compounded by the fact that the app alarm doesn't work on this one, but it did on the 340. What does everyone think?

What pellets are you burning? The 515° is gonna be About tops. Run it a little more, use a digital thermometer to make sure of accuracy with the 590 probe. If lg difference, may need to make offset adjustment.
and no, alarms don't work

What pellets are you burning? The 515° is gonna be About tops. Run it a little more, use a digital thermometer to make sure of accuracy with the 590 probe. If lg difference, may need to make offset adjustment.
and no, alarms don't work
I’m using Rec Tec pellets. I had read a few people able to get theirs above 600, so I was hoping to at least get 550. I just checked with other probes and it’s spot on.
The more concerning issue is the temp fluctuations. The grill was almost 60 degrees off and wouldn’t decrease at all until I restarted it...

I’m using Rec Tec pellets. I had read a few people able to get theirs above 600, so I was hoping to at least get 550. I just checked with other probes and it’s spot on.
The more concerning issue is the temp fluctuations. The grill was almost 60 degrees off and wouldn’t decrease at all until I restarted it...
I don't have an issue at all decreasing the temp, i do it all the time. I run it to 275, light my chunks for a few minutes then drop to 225 without issue. Give those experts a call in the morning, could be a controller? they'll do you right what ever the issue is. let us know what they say.

For sure, I’m still in contact with one of the managers from a lemon 340. im just trying to troubleshoot before I reach back out to them. Im trying different pellets to rule that out, but same issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back