Stampede Tried Low Temp For 1st Time

SRS

Cooked on my RT-590 Wife picked up 16 lbs. of Pork Butt from Costco which ended up being two 8lb butts. Decided to cook @ low temp then crank it up when they hit the stall. So I started @ 215 degrees used Memphis Rub & patiently waited til they hit 155 degrees while spraying them occassionally with Apple Juice & Apple Cider Vinegar mixture & a dusting of Brown Sugar. At 155 degrees I upped the temp to 235 degrees. When they hit 196 degrees I put them in their own aluminum pans & poured some of the drippings on them and sealed with tin foil for 90 minutes. To make a long story short I started @ 4 a.m. & finished @ 5 p.m. So it came out to be 1 1/2 hrs. per pound. I sliced 1 Butt in half, let it cool & vacuumed sealed ( double seal both ends ) it with drippings that had hardened in the fridge. I Sous Vide it to 165 degrees 2 weeks later. Used my claws to tear it apart for sandwiches which were awesome to say the least.

Attachments

• 20220326_095418.jpg
    20220326_095418.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 214
  • Pork Butt 1.jpg
    Pork Butt 1.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Low and slow is the only way I do large cuts of meat. Here in Texas you can always find brisket or butts at just about any grocery store you walk into. Looks great and thanks for sharing.

Cooked on my RT-590 Wife picked up 16 lbs. of Pork Butt from Costco which ended up being two 8lb butts. Decided to cook @ low temp then crank it up when they hit the stall. So I started @ 215 degrees used Memphis Rub & patiently waited til they hit 155 degrees while spraying them occassionally with Apple Juice & Apple Cider Vinegar mixture & a dusting of Brown Sugar. At 155 degrees I upped the temp to 235 degrees. When they hit 196 degrees I put them in their own aluminum pans & poured some of the drippings on them and sealed with tin foil for 90 minutes. To make a long story short I started @ 4 a.m. & finished @ 5 p.m. So it came out to be 1 1/2 hrs. per pound. I sliced 1 Butt in half, let it cool & vacuumed sealed ( double seal both ends ) it with drippings that had hardened in the fridge. I Sous Vide it to 165 degrees 2 weeks later. Used my claws to tear it apart for sandwiches which were awesome to say the least.
I am curious. Did you rotate the two butts between left and right of the grate during the cook? When I do multiple butts the left one can take over an hour longer than the right one.

Any Butt is great low and slow!!!:eek:

I am curious. Did you rotate the two butts between left and right of the grate during the cook? When I do multiple butts the left one can take over an hour longer than the right one.
forums pants GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back