Stampede Tri Tip on the 590

Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
First Tri-Tip on the 590 I marinated this cut for 15 hours in a Santa Maria marinade. Then cooked on xtreme smoke for 45 minutes followed by 225 till inside temp reached 130 wrapped and let rest for 30 minutes. It came out flavorful and moist.

Attachments

• 20210116_151830.jpg
    20210116_151830.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 192
  • 20210116_152140.jpg
    20210116_152140.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
First Tri-Tip on the 590 I marinated this cut for 15 hours in a Santa Maria marinade. Then cooked on xtreme smoke for 45 minutes followed by 225 till inside temp reached 300 wrapped and let rest for 30 minutes. It came out flavorful and moist.
Isn't 300 IT a bit much, for any meat? Not even sure how you'd get to an IT of 300 if the grill is only set at 225 :oops:

First Tri-Tip on the 590 I marinated this cut for 15 hours in a Santa Maria marinade. Then cooked on xtreme smoke for 45 minutes followed by 225 till inside temp reached 300 wrapped and let rest for 30 minutes. It came out flavorful and moist.
No way to get to 300 if the pit was set to 225. Perhaps you meant 200? which is a common endpoint for getting a tender roast.

Isn't 300 IT a bit much, for any meat? Not even sure how you'd get to an IT of 300 if the grill is only set at 225 :oops:
Sorry I repeated your comment. I agree.

Costco had seasoned in stock Tri Tips today
I'm not a fan of buying pre-seasoned meats since it won't be seasoned the way I would do it so it's a crap shoot. That reminds me, I forgot to look for tri tip when I was at costco the other day, but I did pick up a 19# prime full packer brisket for $2.99 lb. Started it last night for today's dinner and it came out awesome, burnt ends and all. Gotta love costco, get a car battery and brisket.... (y)

No way to get to 300 if the pit was set to 225. Perhaps you meant 200? which is a common endpoint for getting a tender roast.
typo it was supposed to read 130 I will change

I'm not a fan of buying pre-seasoned meats since it won't be seasoned the way I would do it so it's a crap shoot. That reminds me, I forgot to look for tri tip when I was at costco the other day, but I did pick up a 19# prime full packer brisket for $2.99 lb. Started it last night for today's dinner and it came out awesome, burnt ends and all. Gotta love costco, get a car battery and brisket.... (y)
I think Costco's seasoned Tri-Tip is good!

I need to try a Tri-Tip it sounds yummy.
I gave up on finding any tri-tip here, so this past weekend I ordered an American Wagyu Tri Tip and a Wagyu Picanha from KOW Steaks-will be here tomorrow. Not cheap, but hoping for great things. The Picanah will get grilled on the rotisserie of the Wyldside, not sure what I am going to cook the tri-tip on just yet.
DC83DFA5-AAED-4068-A949-D13E9D281740.jpeg

I gave up on finding any tri-tip here, so this past weekend I ordered an American Wagyu Tri Tip and a Wagyu Picanha from KOW Steaks-will be here tomorrow. Not cheap, but hoping for great things. The Picanah will get grilled on the rotisserie of the Wyldside, not sure what I am going to cook the tri-tip on just yet.View attachment 8440
I can't find tri-tips around here either but these other choices are way above my pay grade. o_O

Last edited:
I can't find tri-tips around here either but these other choices are way above my pay grade. o_O
Normally above mine as well. But I’ve decided that I’ve put enough of my life on hold for the last 11 months, so I’m at least going to eat well!

A few folks have said they are more common on the west coast. I guess the trade off is fewer options for LJ pellets. Rural King and some others won't ship to California. Something about our lovely Proposition 65 rule that requires darn near everything to be labeled as a carcinogen.

I gave up on finding any tri-tip here, so this past weekend I ordered an American Wagyu Tri Tip and a Wagyu Picanha from KOW Steaks-will be here tomorrow. Not cheap, but hoping for great things. The Picanah will get grilled on the rotisserie of the Wyldside, not sure what I am going to cook the tri-tip on just yet.View attachment 8440

Ya know Greg you are making this forum hazardous for me to visit! I really didn't need to know about another place I can order fine meats from! Now my bank account will suffer ;)

Ya know Greg you are making this forum hazardous for me to visit! I really didn't need to know about another place I can order fine meats from! Now my bank account will suffer ;)
I recently ordered a Waygu brisket from Snake River Farms. Wanna talk about cha-ching? 😳 I wanted to see what all the hub-bub was about, though.

I recently ordered a Waygu brisket from Snake River Farms. Wanna talk about cha-ching? 😳 I wanted to see what all the hub-bub was about, though.
Have you cooked it yet? Wagyu brisket is at the top of my list, but I want to hold off until we can safely have a very good friend and his family over for a meal. When we attended recteq academy in December, Chef Greg said that of all the Wagyu cuts, brisket is by far the best to showcase the difference between Wagyu and prime Angus beef.

I hear you! We got a nice discount from KOW as part of our recteq academy swag bag, and it was about to expire. I can’t afford to make a habit out of liking the top shelf cuts of meat!

Haven't cooked it yet. It's sleeping soundly in our deep freeze. It's in the 12-14lb range. I'm saving until next month for my bday. 😁

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back