Bull Tri tip, low and slow

Low and slow was first way I ever had tri-tip almost 20 years ago. There was a church in CA that would cook several in their ugly drum smokers all night. It was interesting how there was very little science to it. No thermometers in the smokers or temps taken on the meats but the best tri-tip I’ve ever had. Something about the drippings falling onto the coals and flavoring the cuts made the taste something unique that I’ve not tasted anywhere else. Always well done.
Chef John has a great grilled Santa Maria recipe for the grill and it is always a hit. Medium is his suggestion. It is a completely different flavor profile than the smoked tri-tip though. If you grill it I suggest letting it rest before cutting. It made a big difference in how quickly it dries out.

Juicy!

EECDCBAD-987B-4033-975F-A46E74CE4A53.jpeg

I've migrated to a hybrid style of cooking tri-tip. I sear a cold tri-tip over very hot and close coals, then smoke until desired internal temperature (medium rare for us).

So how do you cook medium "rear"? Doesn't sound too palatable to me. I really like the low slow brisket style TT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back