Bull Tri tip, low and slow

Wayde F

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Love my tri-tip low and slow. Internal temperature 205°. Very tender. Are use meat churches holy cow.

528402A7-6F34-4588-A0AA-EFBA4747F4A3.jpeg

Love my tri-tip low and slow. Internal temperature 205°. Very tender. Are use meat churches holy cow.

View attachment 18811
Looks great!. Did you wrap at the end? I like to wrap at 165* with beef broth or such, just enough to moisturize a little. Thinking about using a little smoked beef tallow at that time to add a little fat content??

Looks great!. Did you wrap at the end? I like to wrap at 165* with beef broth or such, just enough to moisturize a little. Thinking about using a little smoked beef tallow at that time to add a little fat content
Looks great!. Did you wrap at the end? I like to wrap at 165* with beef broth or such, just enough to moisturize a little. Thinking about using a little smoked beef tallow at that time to add a little fat content??
I wrapped it at 160 in butcher paper with some butter on top. And pulled it at 205.

Looks good.

I prefer my tri-tip medium rare. Tri-tip is a relatively tender cut, just slightly north of NY steak in tenderness. Cross-grain slicing about 1/8" thick makes it eat even more tender.
I can’t eat meat Unless it’s well done. Sorry. A lot of people enjoy it medium rear. I’m sure it’s tender.

I agree with @Roaniecowpony. I like it medium rare also. It's my go-to meat for a fast dinner. Louisiana hot sauce as a binder, hardcore carnivore black rub, 225F for about 1 hour or until temp reaches 118F, and then a fast sear to give it be a nice crust. So yummy!

View attachment 18817
I agree with @Roaniecowpony. I like it medium rare also. It's my go-to meat for a fast dinner. Louisiana hot sauce as a binder, hardcore carnivore black rub, 225F for about 1 hour or until temp reaches 118F, and then a fast sear to give it be a nice crust. So yummy!

View attachment 18817
That does look wonderful. I guess I need to give medium rear a try.

I typically do medium over medium rare, but even medium well if done right doesn't suck. :)
Yeah, I hear the only way cook to tri Tip is medium rare. Can’t bring myself to eat anything but medium well or well. I really enjoy low and slow Tri tip though. Very tender. All the comments I’m getting are medium rare. I guess I’ll have to try it.

I never heard of cooking tri-tip like a brisket until joining here. With that said, I've done it a few times and was happy with the results, but it's sort of like comparing New York pizza to Chicago pizza. Same name, same ingredients, but sort of a different product.

I still mainly do the medium rare, but on occasion it's nice to mix things up.

Full disclosure: When my old dog decided to stop eating in the last few months of her life, I started cooking the pre-marinated tri-tips from the grocery store which she devoured. Tri-tip is still called "dog food" in my house, but it is back in the people food rotation every now and then.

When my old dog decided to stop eating in the last few months of her life, I started cooking the pre-marinated tri-tips from the grocery store which she devoured.
I just knew you were a quality guy. We had a similar experience with the Miniature Schnauzer we lost a few months back. She loved chicken and when she started to fail and quit eating, I cooked chicken breast for her. She loved it to the very end. It was her last meal before crossing the Rainbow Bridge and she made the journey well-fed.

Dogs are very special to us and I respect and value the people who feel the same way. Thanks for posting that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear the only way cook to tri Tip is medium rare. Can’t bring myself to eat anything but medium well or well. I really enjoy low and slow Tri tip though. Very tender. All the comments I’m getting are medium rare. I guess I’ll have to try it.
Hey, if your thing is well done (or, medium well), then the low-and-slow brisket-style tri-tip cook is perfect! I also prefer my steaks and roast beef medium rare, but also love a good, slow-cooked brisket. There's room in this world for a wide variety of tastes.

Last edited:
I never heard of cooking tri-tip like a brisket until joining here. With that said, I've done it a few times and was happy with the results, but it's sort of like comparing New York pizza to Chicago pizza. Same name, same ingredients, but sort of a different product.

Full disclosure: When my old dog decided to stop eating in the last few months of her life, I started cooking the pre-marinated tri-tips from the grocery store which she devoured. Tri-tip is still called "dog food" in my house, but it is back in the people food rotation every now and then.
Yes. It seems like low and slow tri tip has just started getting popular. Or more people do it. Funny story about the dog food. I just cook for a small group of people. Basically, my wife and myself. So a brisket is a little too much for my small household. Someone on YouTube about a year ago. Started cooking tri-tip low and slow. So I started. I love it.

Yes. It seems like low and slow tri tip has just started getting popular. Or more people do it. Funny story about the dog food. I just cook for a small group of people. Basically, my wife and myself. So a brisket is a little too much for my small household. Someone on YouTube about a year ago. Started cooking tri-tip low and slow. So I started. I love it.
Just so you know, @Wayde F, brisket can be sliced, vacuum-packed and frozen with very good results. We are a two-person household and when I smoke a brisket, we vacuum-pack and freeze meal-size portions for future use

It is great to be able to take a package of brisket out of the freezer and have it ready to eat in about 30 minutes. We just drop the vacuum-sealed packet in a pot of boiling water (burner shut off) and in about 30 minutes it is ready.

Our favorite use is brisket sandwiches on fresh Ciabatta rolls, but it can also be served in a variety of other ways too.

Last edited:
Just so you know, @Wayde F, brisket can be sliced, vacuum-packed and frozen with very good results. We are a two-person household and when I smoke a brisket, we vacuum-pack and freeze meal-size portions for future use

It is great to be able to take a package of brisket out of the freezer and have it ready to eat in about 30 minutes. We just drop the vacuum-sealed packet in a pot of boiling water (burner shut off) and in about 30 minutes it is ready.

Our favorite use is brisket sandwiches on fresh Ciabatta rolls, but it can also be served in a variety of others ways too.
Thanks for the info. That’s a good idea.

That's why I mentioned going "medium", it's kind of a win/win IMHO. :) I am in the camp of when it comes to all things beef, anything more than medium is heresy. :LOL:

That's why I mentioned going "medium", it's kind of a win/win IMHO. :) I am in the camp of when it comes to all things beef, anything more than medium is heresy. :LOL:
Medium brisket? I did see someone doing brisket steaks, 1" thick and grill like a regular steak.

If you still prefer the meat cooked to medium well or more, but like a moist serving, try making up a dipping sauce or au jus. My loose au jus recipe consists of Kitchen Basics Beef Stock (very rich), a splash of Dale's Steak Seasoning, a good helping of the rub used on the meat, a bit of bacon, and usually a small dash of Frank's Hot sauce, then bring it to a boil and simmer a while, stirring to steep the rub flavors into the liquid. Cool the au jus to the meat temperature before adding it or it will cook the meat further.

If you let the meat (even well done meat) set in such a concoction overnight (in the fridge), it will rehydrate and be very moist, even when reheated.

My bird dog is an 11 y.o. pointer that is a finicky eater with many issues requiring half a dozen pills at meal time. Getting him to take the pills is a daily challenge. We've done everything from opening his huge mouth by hand and tossing the pills in the back of his throat and holding his mouth shut and nose up while rubbing his throat to putting pills in everything from cheese balls to $25/lb prosciutto, or leftover tri-tip. He does take after me...he loves tri-tip. But with tri-tip at $10/lb even in Costco, I bought some $5/lb Chuck steaks for him. Turns out he likes that too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back