Bull Traveling with the Bull: Cover or no cover?

Winkler

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’m planning on ordering the Bull this weekend. Most of the time, I will be using it in my driveway or backyard, and it will be stored primarily in the garage when I’m not making something delicious.

However, I do plan on taking it to different family members houses for get togethers and Holidays. Some of these trips are not far from me, just a few minutes. Others are an hour on northern Minnesota country roads, parts of which are gravel.

I am planning on getting the competition cart to make moving it around that much easier. One of the locations I will be taking it to frequently has no pavement, and it seems like the wheels on the comp cart will make transport less of a hassle.

So, when it’s in an unenclosed trailer, going down the highway and back roads, should I opt for the cover to protect it from dirt, flying rocks, or anything else that might get kicked up on paved and unpaved roads? Also while I’m thinking about it, what’s the best way to strap it down?

I opt for no cover and let the whole fam damily come to you!

While I do not disagree, this is not always possible. Then main place I’ll be taking it too is hunting property where the entire family goes for deer camp in the fall, and we have other family events there as well. I think there are one or two laws about hunting deer in city limits!

Transporting to and fro is something I personally would avoid unless maybe the 340. Just asking for things to get out of wack, whether electronics , dust infused,or what ever. Just something I " would not do " .

I'm with @Wslayer on this one. I wouldn't spend $1200 on a grill and risk damaging it trying to transport it back and forth like that. If it were me, I'd purchase another grill just for the deer camp that can be stored there permanently. Perhaps something from Pit Boss or Camp Chef would be my recommendation. Definitely wouldn't be dropping as much coin on that one. Lol

Transporting to and fro is something I personally would avoid unless maybe the 340. Just asking for things to get out of wack, whether electronics , dust infused,or what ever. Just something I " would not do " .

It's funny that you mention this. A friend of ours just recently had some issues with the electronics on his grill after transporting it. I believe it wound up being a wire that had vibrated loose. Luckily it was an easy fix, but that still had to have sucked. Lol

I say, go for it. You'll want to do something to secure the heat deflector, drip tray, and grates, and , of course the door. I think I'd put some tiedown anchor points on the competition base. One on each end should do it. I'd put a plate doubler behind the anchor so you minimize the chance of bending the side of the cart. Also, avoid lifting it from the handle and shelf on the controller side. Maybe make the tiedowns the lifting points. If it has to go in a trailer, cover it.

I say, go for it. You'll want to do something to secure the heat deflector, drip tray, and grates, and , of course the door. I think I'd put some tiedown anchor points on the competition base. One on each end should do it. I'd put a plate doubler behind the anchor so you minimize the chance of bending the side of the cart. Also, avoid lifting it from the handle and shelf on the controller side. Maybe make the tiedowns the lifting points. If it has to go in a trailer, cover it.
All of this is just the start, not worth trashing $1600 worth.

You will want the cover. But, for hauling in an open trailer, I think you'd rip it to shreds. So much flapping and too many sharp points for it to rip. It's good for the back yard but not made for travel. I'd also do the wheel mod. So much easier to move around.

You will want the cover. But, for hauling in an open trailer, I think you'd rip it to shreds. So much flapping and too many sharp points for it to rip. It's good for the back yard but not made for travel. I'd also do the wheel mod. So much easier to move around.

Agree. Cover it with a cheap tarp in the truck/trailer.

If you lift it and tie it down properly, as well as secure the innards, I don't see any reason you can't transport it. I think I'd just take out the grates, drip tray and heat deflector and put it all in boxes separately. Then, there is really not much to the whole thing and no loose parts inside.

Last edited:
I’m planning on ordering the Bull this weekend. Most of the time, I will be using it in my driveway or backyard, and it will be stored primarily in the garage when I’m not making something delicious.

However, I do plan on taking it to different family members houses for get togethers and Holidays. Some of these trips are not far from me, just a few minutes. Others are an hour on northern Minnesota country roads, parts of which are gravel.

I am planning on getting the competition cart to make moving it around that much easier. One of the locations I will be taking it to frequently has no pavement, and it seems like the wheels on the comp cart will make transport less of a hassle.

So, when it’s in an unenclosed trailer, going down the highway and back roads, should I opt for the cover to protect it from dirt, flying rocks, or anything else that might get kicked up on paved and unpaved roads? Also while I’m thinking about it, what’s the best way to strap it down?
You risk the electronics with a bumpy ride. I agree with those above, get a second unit. The comp cart isn't really for trailer travel. ??

I don't see any reason not to do what you want with transportation your Bull. RECTEC uses the same electronics in the Chuck Wagon they mount on a trailer and have no problems. If there's any issues RecTec will make good on it

You risk the electronics with a bumpy ride. I agree with those above, get a second unit. The comp cart isn't really for trailer travel. ??

So, I started to wonder about the electronics. I have a spare PID controller. After looking at it, I have to agree, that a bumpy 50 mile ride in a open trailer with unsophisticated suspension, would probably rip the transformer off the circuit board. The rest of the electrical components are durable; igniter, fan motor, auger motor and light.

If the OP is going to travel dirt roads with it in a trailer, I'd say the controller shouldn't ride in the trailer. It should be safely tucked in a box, in your car or truck cab or somewhere it wouldn''t see high Gs. The controller shelf comes off easily with 4 bolts and 2 connectors.

20200510_213628.jpg
20200510_213633.jpg

Maybe this is a dumb question due to all of the above mentioned thoughts regarding the electronics, but what would the point of a competition cart be if you can’t travel with the smoker?? It notes on the website it’s for travel.

From the Rec Tec website:
The Competition Cart will make transporting your grill a breeze, whether you’re rolling it down a gravel driveway or traveling to your next BBQ competition.

RecTec uses the same controller on there Chuck Wagon and also built this trailer with many different RecTec grills, I'm pretty sure the electronics are more robust than you think. These grills ride across the country in a semi trailer, pretty sure by seeing some of the packaging pictures people post the shipping companies don't treat them to well and not many controller issues that I have seen or heard of.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1589197075654.jpg
    FB_IMG_1589197075654.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 79
Lots of discussion here about stuff, but your original question about covering on an open trailer only got two responses, and one I'd caution against. Car guys have made the mistake of covering to "protect" and when they get to their destination they find the paint all marked up with scratches (at the least) from the cover material flapping violently in the breeze. A tarp, or any other cover is going to move at speed and scratch the finish of the cooker. If that won't bother you go for it, otherwise what's the point of covering it?

Lots of discussion here about stuff, but your original question about covering on an open trailer only got two responses, and one I'd caution against. Car guys have made the mistake of covering to "protect" and when they get to their destination they find the paint all marked up with scratches (at the least) from the cover material flapping violently in the breeze. A tarp, or any other cover is going to move at speed and scratch the finish of the cooker. If that won't bother you go for it, otherwise what's the point of covering it?
I agree and wouldn't recommend covering the grill when traveling.

Just another picture of the controller. That the old conventional transformer is iron and copper and held on the board with 8 soldered pins. There are numerous fine pins between the circuit board and the steel face plate that holds the DRO. The CB is held to the steel face plate by 4 screws at the corners. That transformer mounted in the middle of the CB makes it into a trampoline (structurally). A washboard dirt road looks like it'd be a torture test on it.

Reminds me of what my wife did for a living before she retired last year. She was in charge of vibe testing satellites and black boxes that went into them, to ensure they survived launch vibration. This stuff wouldn't get past the design standards review, of course.

20200511_055508.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back